Drive cloning 1:1, need help!

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hi,

Is it possible to clone a SSD drive completely? I have a 128GB one with Win10 and another SSD with the same size that is completely empty. I would like to clone it 1:1, so every file and setting comes with it. Are there any special programs for it or is it harder?

Thanks,
op

Solution
Assuming that both PCs are "generic" (self-built/custom built) and NOT OEM machines, and further assuming that both PCs are equipped with Intel-based systems...

It may be possible - in some cases even likely - that you could achieve your objective of cloning the contents (including the OS) of the SSD in your PC #1 to another SSD, install that SSD in PC#2, and the latter PC will boot.

Understand there is no guarantee that the new system will boot to the cloned drive, but it's worth a try to attempt this operation.

If the system does boot, it is likely that you will need to install whatever motherboard drivers are required by the system. Presumably you will obtain these drivers from the motherboard's drivers installation CD or from...
Shouldn't be an issue at all.

The easiest way is to use a drive cloning device, many will do what you need with the push of a button.

Acronis is a popular software capable of it.

What is the reason for wanting to switch SSDs like that though?

USAFRet

Titan

OK....yes.

1. Why are we doing this?
2. Macrium Reflect is my go to application for this.
We can go into specific steps if you want.

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks,

Long story to explain.

Both are desktop computers, so I should probably connect the empty drive to the original computerto transfer? Is it easy? Correct me when I'm wrong.

USAFRet

Titan

If you are wanting to transfer an OS drive from one PC to another via cloning...STOP.
This probably will not work.

So, yes...please go into the 'long story'. Maybe we can come with an actual solution that will work.

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
What's wrong?

Computers 1 and 2 have only 1 drive.

The SSD broke on computer 2, so I have a new one, same size etc., but its empty(without OS).

The SSD on computer 1 is totally fine, so I thought 1:1 cloning it to the new SSD isn't hard. I just need to use both of these desktop computers with same programs and settings.

Why isn't that possible?

USAFRet

Titan

Moving an OS drive between PC's often leads to booting problems, and almost always leads to activation problems.

You need 2 different licenses for 2 PC's. 1 for each.

What OS is this?

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Oh, really?

I think there was another drive, but it broke and had to be changed.

When I have installed a Win10 to the the new SSD in computer 2, is it possible to clone it then?

USAFRet

Titan

If you have the OS installed on PC #2, there is no cloning needed.
And you can't 'clone' the applications from the old system into a new OS. Doesn't work like that.

So...
You have 2 systems
Do you have 2 OS licenses? And for which OS?

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
If i install a legit win10 to computer 2 with the new SSD then i will have 2 systems with win10s, 1 with programs and one totally fresh. Then I need to transfer these programs to the system 2, but they also need to stay in system 2. Is that possible?

USAFRet

Titan

You can't just transfer programs between PC's. They will need to be reinstalled with the new OS on PC #2.
Plus, for any paid software...do you have 2 actual copies?
(Free software is no prob, just install on PC #2)

oP1268

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-clone-hard-drive-or-ssd-2014/ This is exactly what i want to do. It says that i dont have to reinstall windows etc. I could install the clean ssd to the computer that has windows and all the files, clone it and dismount it. Then the files will remain in the computer and the clean ssd drive is a 1:1 copy of it. Will that work?

USAFRet

Titan

Correct me if I am wrong, but what you are wanting to do is:
Clone SSD#1 to SSD#2 in PC #1
Remove SSD#2.
Install SSD#2 in PC #2.
Hope it boots properly.

No.

What that article talks about is:
SSD#1 in PC#1
Add a new SSD#2 in PC#1
Clone from SSD#1 to SSD#2, still in PC#1
Remove SSD#1, and have it boot from SSD#2.
That would work 100%.

The issue is moving this between 2 different PC's.
Again, correct me if I am wrong about the above.

Assuming that both PCs are "generic" (self-built/custom built) and NOT OEM machines, and further assuming that both PCs are equipped with Intel-based systems...

It may be possible - in some cases even likely - that you could achieve your objective of cloning the contents (including the OS) of the SSD in your PC #1 to another SSD, install that SSD in PC#2, and the latter PC will boot.

Understand there is no guarantee that the new system will boot to the cloned drive, but it's worth a try to attempt this operation.

If the system does boot, it is likely that you will need to install whatever motherboard drivers are required by the system. Presumably you will obtain these drivers from the motherboard's drivers installation CD or from the website of the motherboard's manufacturer. On the other hand you may be pleasantly surprised over the system's ability to locate and install whatever necessary drivers are needed by the OS.

Now further understand that even if you are fortunate to gain a bootable, functioning OS via this process you will still need to have a valid Product key in order to activate the system with a Microsoft licensed OS. See...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Solution