[SOLVED] Drive does not work when connected to motherboard (but it works with USB)

Oct 4, 2021
Hi All,

I have this hard drive:
HGST Ultrastar He10

I does work in anther machine (which has a raid controller build in) and it works just fine when i plug it in via USB (Inateck USB 3.0 Dockingstation).

However:
When I connect it via SATA to my motherboard it wont work.
It does not spin up (and ofc wont be shown in BIOS).

The motherboard is a Z370-A PRO with Ubuntu 18.04 as the OS.

The cable and connection seems ok since I used it with a smaller HDD up to now (Toshiba DT01ACA200).

Does anyone has any idea what could be wrong here?

Last edited:
Solution
It's also possible it uses the funky pin assignment for power, if it's a shucked drive. Standard SATA connectors will not work with it and you'll need to nail polish over some of the power pins to get it to work.
Oct 4, 2021
Thank you very much for the fast answers, I appreciate you taking the time!
That problem is with me for quite some time, and your input seems quite usefull!
I also added the information about my motherboard in the original question (sry that was missing).

I unfortunately could not find any settings in the BIOS.
But I put the drive back into the other machine that recognizes the drive and read out the PUIS parameter via:

Code:
hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep "Power-Up In Standby"
>> Power-Up In Standby feature set

The documentation says this is dangerous so I wanted to ask here before i try:

Does I assume correctly that I can switch that mode off via:

Code:
hdparm -s 0 /dev/sdb

or do I have to do something physical with the drive (I would then probably be not the right person to do so ;))

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2021
It seems to me that hdparm has merely reported that the drive supports the set of features related to Power-Up In Standby. It is not reporting that PUIS has been enabled.

Many thanks, then I got that wrong I thought that means its active...
Is there anything else on the software side that I could check?

Oct 4, 2021
You have a Sata v3.3 drive which uses the 3.3volt line as a reset function.
Your options are to mask off thos pins on the drive, cut the 3.3v wires in the power cable, or use an extension that doesn't bring the line to the drive.
Something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Pin-SATA-Power-Extension-Cable/dp/B002P6W9UG

Very very helpful!!! Just found a tutorial online on how to do so.
Thanks!

(here for people who are reading this with a similar problem - not tested yet!!!)