Question Drive/Folder Advanced Sharing Permissions Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I am setting up a Dell XPS13+ for my wife. I need her to be able to access files on my desktop (a home built computer we'll call D7).

When I click on Network in File Explorer, a D7 icon shows up along with several icons for PCs on the network. I click on D7 and icons show up for each shared folder. However, when I click on any of them, I get a Not Accessible message - you do not have permission.

I am signed on to XPS13 with her account. (Note it works fine when I'm signed on to XPS13 with my account.) Here's what I've checked so far.

• Both my wife and I are using Microsoft accounts on each machine set up as administrators.
  • Checked that both machines were in the same work group.
  • Checked that the network showed as PRIVATE on both machines.
  • For each machine checked PRIVATE network settings: (a) Network Discovery ON, (b) Auto Setup of Network Devices CHECKED, (c) File and Printer Sharing ON.
  • I ensured that Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, and UPnP Device host were Automatic Start. I changed SSDP Discovery from Manual to Automatic Start.
  • For each machine had PUBLIC network settings : (a) Public Folder Sharing ON, (b) 128-bit Encryption, (c) Password Protected Sharing Off.
  • Checked that the drives I share on D7 have permissions granted for full access in each case to both me and my wife.
  • The XPS13 is a new machine and came preloaded with McAfee. The D7 has Avast and Windscribe VPN. I switched off the firewalls on each.

I am at wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

• For each machine had PUBLIC network settings : (a) Public Folder Sharing ON, (b) 128-bit Encryption, (c) Password Protected Sharing Off.
I am at wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
Set password protected sharing on.
Create account for your wife on your desktop - same username, same password as on laptop.
When sharing folder to network, set share permissions, so your wife can access it.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
<<Create account for your wife on your desktop - same username, same password as on laptop.
Done originally. See original post.

<<When sharing folder to network, set share permissions, so your wife can access it.
Done originally. See original post.

<<Set password protected sharing on.
Just did. Good news/bad news.

Good news is that now does allow XPS13 to get to files on D7.
Bad news is that the XPS13 could access the DX-360 but after changing that on both machines can no longer.
And the XPS15 access the XPS13 was giving me a permission error; now it is asking me for credentials and then won't take them

1. Any thoughts as to why it fixed one problem but broke another and changed another?

2. Setting password protected sharing to ON has seemed very logical to me. Every other site I've looked at so far has said to set it off when using advanced sharing. Any idea why they'd say that? And what why did sharing work on some of the machines with it off? I'm puzzled and trying to learn more.

Thanks.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Additional information [this regarding credentials errors] which may be helpful to someone since Microsoft doesn't see fit to tell us what works when and why.
  • In some cases a machine name+username will work, i.e. -- X360MickeyMouse with the Microsoft account password will resolve a credentials error.
  • In other cases a live account, i.e. mickeymouse@live.com will work with the Microsoft account password when the above will not.
  • In some cases the 5-character name that Microsoft selects (e.g. Micke) will work when the above does not.
  • If it does not work on one account, try the above on another account that is an administrative account on both machines.
  • At times none of the above will work.
The above does not seem to affect the bogus password error situations so far as I can tell.

Would be nice if Microsoft did a networking manual where we could just look these things up. Would save tons of time and frustration!

Status
Not open for further replies.