drive is'nt available

Dor Kaplan

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hello.

I gave my laptop to some "i know how to do it" kid who said he can "clean" my laptop (delete all files (except windows\office) from the drive).

gave him the laptop for 5 mins and what he did is as follow:

*entered the CMD
*diskpart
*list disk
*select disk 0 (the only disk on this laptop beside the CD\DVD drive)
*clean.

at that point the entire desktop was cleaned, tho there are still some files on the computer.

however when i restart the computer im getting an error like: drive isnt available.......
(windows is not in the english version therefore i cant translate it well).
when i try to enter the photos folder for example the error is: D:/user.V2/pictures isnt available.
whenever i open a folder (doesnt matter which - computer \ photos \ files \ java) basically every folder there is on the computer im getting this error.

this is a laptop i've got from work and i need to return it in 2 days, pls help me solve it as soon as possible.

tnx a head.

Solution
Basically factory reset might not be available if the partitions of the drive needed for that have been cleaned. What you'll need to do here is probably go directly for a fresh Windows installation. If you had Windows 10 installed you shouldn't have any issues with that as no product key will be needed, you can simply skip that part during the installation process, because the hardware should be registered and recognized.
However, for any other Windows version, you'll need a product key. If the laptop came with a pre-installed OS (OEM), you'd better get in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support for more info on the product key.

Basically if you're able to make a fresh install, then you could simply reformat the hard...
Hi Dor Kaplan.

I don't want to scare you, but the "clean" command is really bad. :(
First, don't write anything on that drive. I see a glimpse of hope only because you were able to still use the drive and see folders/files (even if they are corrupted). So you could try recovering the files by using data recovery software: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm. However, if neither of the tools you try can do the job and if the data is really important, then the safest bet would be to give it a try with a data recovery company.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

Dor Kaplan

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
tnx for the answer.
i dont care for the files, i meant to delete them, all i care about is the OS to run as it should, without any errors.

btw, any way to delete all the files? (since the "clean" cmd he did didnt worked).

if there isnt any way to "save" the windows files, how can i do a factory reset? (comp is Toshiba sattelite pro R50-b-113)
*tried the 0+power on and got no where :\

Basically factory reset might not be available if the partitions of the drive needed for that have been cleaned. What you'll need to do here is probably go directly for a fresh Windows installation. If you had Windows 10 installed you shouldn't have any issues with that as no product key will be needed, you can simply skip that part during the installation process, because the hardware should be registered and recognized.
However, for any other Windows version, you'll need a product key. If the laptop came with a pre-installed OS (OEM), you'd better get in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support for more info on the product key.

Basically if you're able to make a fresh install, then you could simply reformat the hard drive during the installation process by clicking the advanced options when prompted to select custom or automatic install (go with custom).

If you let me know which version of Windows you're using, I'll be able to give you a specific guide.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS