Drive Letters changing, no bootup

girhen

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I've had this issue before, but never a solid fix for it. Last time I posted on it, I waited a couple days then redid the OS out of frustration.

If I leave my computer off for more than a 2-3 days (vacation, etc), I'll come back and have problems. Sometimes I get all the way to putting in my password, and then the system hangs up and restarts. Sometimes it doesn't get past the Windows logo. I have loaded up, seen Steam start to update itself, and after a 30 seconds to a minute the computer reloads again.

For a while, I could recover from a weekend getaway by loading with the last known good configuration. That doesn't seem to work now. If I repair my computer, it'll likely try to find things where they don't exist again. It seems to think that the OS is installed on the E drive. I believe it's trying to treat the system reserved and other small partition as drives, and that's the problem that's killing it. I have not rewired the system since installation, all drive are plugged in where they started.

I have successfully run Linux Mint Cinnamon in compatibility mode off a flash drive without it restarting or having issues. Running it in normal mode doesn't work. It's Linux off a flash drive in compatibility mode, so very few things actually work anyway.

Hardware:
EVGA X586 SLI 3 motherboard LGA 1366
Intel i7 970 3.2GHz 6 core processor (pretty sure it's Gulftown)
MSI R9 390 8GB
8GB Corsair CMS3 RAM
Thermaltake Toughpower 775
2 HDD, a 2GB and 1GB 7200RPM
Cheap Wireless card, Blu-Ray writer, other less important peripherals

All running on Win 7 (Win 10 had issues)

A 2011 build with an upgraded video card (from a 560Ti - sweet at the time), it still does well enough when it works right.

Any ideas?

*Edits/Additions*

*Replaced CMOS battery - no dice
*Safe Mode is also a no-go
*Tried going back to the old video card to see if maybe it was talking bad. No boot.
*Removed video card and RAM - no beeps heard
*Moved RAM to other slots, no boot.
*Removed second hard drive, no boot.
*I had the same problems 6 months ago, switched the OS to the other HDD. Both otherwise worked fine since, so probably not HDD failure since the problem is identical on each drive as OS.
*I bought a shiny new SSD. Installation of Windows 7 off my disc fails early into the attempt. Error code 0x80070017
*After install fail, attempted to switch from SATA 6GB port to 3GB in case of a problem. No change.

Can anyone think of anything other than MOBO? Or should I consider it that at this point?