• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question Drive letters keep changing, can't boot

malinst

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
Win10 x64

Hello, something happened this morning and I wasn't able to boot. I've tried all I can think of to remedy the situation. Note: all of these attempts have been done by booting from the Windows DVD and using the command prompt.

While running chkdsk on "C:" I noticed that the volume name of that drive was something else. It changed a little 100Gb SSD that I use as a scratch disk for Photoshop into C:.

I have tried multiple times to rename this "scratch disk" drive using diskpart and it keeps switching back to naming it C: Meanwile the real C: primary partition is renamed to D: and the 'hidden' windows partition that was D: is now E:

I've tried renaming all of these correctly using diskpart. but on restart, it switches everything back and won't boot.

After renaming the Real C: I also make it the ACTIVE partition so it will boot from it. It still won't boot. When I check the names with diskpart again after restart I notice that it has been renamed again.

Could this be a virus that's doing this? everything worked great yesterday then this morning the nightmare started.

Any ideas? My next step will be to Make D: Active and run chkdsk on it first and see if I can boot from it.

if that won't boot, I will physically disconnect the "scratch disk" drive that's being renamed as C: to see if it will allow the real C: with Windows to be named C: and boot.

A HUGE THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME!

first i would disconnect all drives but the main OS drive.

there shouldn't be any other accessible partitions on the boot drive.
so now "C:" should be the only drive letter in use.

use Windows repair tools through Settings > Update & Security > Recovery to see if startup options can be repaired or reset to normal.

malinst

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

You can't change the drive letter of the currently running OS. Doesn't work like that.
Thank you but I guess I wasn't clear in my description - I cannot get to disk management - I can't boot into windows user interface.

The Drive in use is the CD drive I booted the Windows Media from to access the command line. I can't take a screenshot because I am not in windows. I can use my phone to take a pic of a diskpart screen? Would that help?

malinst

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013

use Windows repair tools through Settings > Update & Security > Recovery to see if startup options can be repaired or reset to normal.
I will disconnect and report back - currently, I cannot access the startup options you mention. THe 'repair options" on the Windows DVD say that they cannot repair the problem.

malinst

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013

The Second Partition on the Primary hard drive with OS is named "Recovery" I did not create this. I can only assume Windows did. I built the machine, I installed the OS, I didn't make a second partition of 500 some MB for 'recovery'.

Are you saying the recovery partition should not be there? OS should be C: then this D: is hidden (I never saw it until I found it in diskpart today)

OS recovery partitions should not have a drive letter assigned.
it's perfectly normal for them to exist but they should be system partitions with no access.
i currently have two ~500MB "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" on my OS drive.

this could be part of the issue if a 3rd party software is altering the parameters of these partitions.

the easiest option may just be to wipe the drive and go for a fresh install.

malinst

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
Disconnected the "scratchdisk" drive - now the system recognizes my primary drive as C: however it's still not loading windows. I tried sfc /scannow but it gave me a resource protection could not... error. now I'm running chkdsk on that C: drive. will be a while...

then I'll attempt the startup repair option again.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks to all for your time.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

ASK THE COMMUNITY