Drive letters seem to have been swapped about

Jan 4, 2019
Hi,

So a week ago I left for travels and shut off my PC, Windows 10 informed me about some updates, I told the system to update and then shutdown, which I assume it did. ( Not sure, I left, had to catch a plane)

Anyway, I come home and it won't boot properly. It will give me a 0xc000021a error, tell me it is gathering info and will reboot ( which it never does)

So I have tried
repair the system --> no can do
to do a restore -> it can't find restore points
boot in safe mode --> same blue screen
fix the startup procedure --> no success

So then I thought, screw this I'll do a reset --> can't find enough free space.

That could be possible the OS disk is a fairly old small SSD (120GB), so I went in to the command line to see if there was anything to remove there. At which point I notice something weird.
When going to C: it looks a lot like my old D: drive, D looks like the old F, E seems to actually be the old C drive where the OS is installed, F is my old G drive ( the second SSD) and G seems to be the old F drive. ( although I am not entirely sure about which one was F and which one was E)

So went into DISKPART and listed the volumes and sure enough, going by the disk sizes it is now

C -> 1TB
D -> 1TB
E -> 120G
F -> 500G
G -> 1TB
H -> 450M ( hidden partition, I assume the recovery part ?)

And it should be along the lines of

C -> 120G
D -> 1TB
E -> 1TB
F -> 1TB
G -> 500G

Anyway I suspect that something has messed up here somehow and that this is why the system nor any of the recovery options want to work, I think windows is looking for files on c:\ but not finding them there.

So my question: is my suspicion correct and how do I fix this without totally breaking everything.

Jan 4, 2019

Well no it doesn't boot into windows, it boots in the windows recovery options when I press F8 before the windows logo appears. So I really only have access to the commandline from there. So I guess I am asking how I can fix the drive letters from there ( and if that sounds like it's my problem)

Jan 4, 2019
Well I put all the letters back to normal, closed the command line and rebooted --> same error
Went back to the troubleshooting interface and cmd from there and all the drive letters were back to their scrambled self -_-

Anyone with a suggestion?

TRENDING THREADS