Question Drive letters swapped, won't boot

Nov 20, 2020
This is a problem that has had me tearing my hair out for quite a while. It seems somewhat similar to others described here, but not the same.

Background:

The PC is a Dell 5770 laptop, purchased for my wife in September 2017. It came with a hard disk and a small SSD (M.2, SATA). Right away I upgraded the operating system to Windows 10 Pro, the RAM to 32 GB, and replaced both disks with a Samsung 850 EVO (1 TB) SATA SSD and a Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD (512 GB). The M.2 SSD was used for Windows and programs and the SATA SSD, for data. None of this caused any significant problems.

The Problem:

Around February, after over 2 years, the keyboard started intermittently not entering the character when certain keys were pressed and the PC also started making excessive noise. As we have a service contract, we called Dell. A service tech came out and fixed the noise problem, but not the keyboard (he had the wrong part). Then COVID-19 happened, so, as we are both in our mid 70s, we didn't have anyone in and stayed in ourselves. So it wasn't until July, after things loosened up some, that we had Dell in again to fix the keyboard. This time a different Dell tech again came with the wrong keyboard. Not until after he had left, did we discover that the machine would boot (from the M.2 SSD), but the data (on the other SSD) was not accessible. It turned out that the tech had not reconnected the 850 EVO disk. A third tech came back (this time with the right keyboard) and reconnected the 850 EVO disk. The machine would not boot. The tech said that he hadn't done it and I had to take it up with Dell's central support organization.

Current Status:

Skipping over a lot, the problem is that the drive letters for the M.2 SSD (C) and the SATA SSD (D) get swapped. Apparently, the natural order of things is for the SATA SSD to be C and the M2 SSD to be D, which doesn't go over well with Windows. The weird thing is that I can do a clean install of Windows 10 onto the M.2 SSD and all can be well, until the WiFi interface is started (happends with 2 different WiFi interfaces (internal and external USB 3, although I might verify that). It doesn't die immediately, but it's not long before the screen goes blank and Windows dies and won't reboot. I booted into Windows 10 Pro recovery using the Windows 10 installation disk and used Diskpart to check the drive letters, which were indeed swapped. Swapping them back with Diskpart does no good.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Hmmm, you do seem to be in a pickle here. I would sincerely advise that you back up any and/or all data that might be mission critical to your wife(and you) and then proceed to reinstall the OS. For this instance, you will need to first make sure that the laptop is on the latest BIOS update after you cross reference the BIOS version with Dell's support site.

Then use the installer for Windows 10(using Windows Media Creation Tools, to fabricate the installer) then use it to format both the SSD's. Power down the laptop, disconnect the 2.5" SSD from the laptop and then fire up the laptop again to install the OS on the M.2 SSD.

Once OS is installed, reconnect the 2.5" SSD and then migrate all data back to the 2.5" SSD.

Reactions: CountMike
Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Hmmm, you do seem to be in a pickle here. I would sincerely advise that you back up any and/or all data that might be mission critical to your wife(and you) and then proceed to reinstall the OS. For this instance, you will need to first make sure that the laptop is on the latest BIOS update after you cross reference the BIOS version with Dell's support site.

Then use the installer for Windows 10(using Windows Media Creation Tools, to fabricate the installer) then use it to format both the SSD's. Power down the laptop, disconnect the 2.5" SSD from the laptop and then fire up the laptop again to install the OS on the M.2 SSD.

Once OS is installed, reconnect the 2.5" SSD and then migrate all data back to the 2.5" SSD.

Thanks for the advice. I've done most, but not quite all of those things. The BIOS is up to date, I have backups of the 2.5" SSD, and Windows 10 has been reinstalled using the Media Creation Tool, probably sometimes with the 2.5" SSD disconnected (although I'm not absolutely certain of that). It all becomes a blur, since I didn't take the trouble to keep detailed notes. What's the benefit of reformatting the 2.5" SSD? As far I can tell. it is undamaged. I'm not really sure what's happening when the process of uninstalling and reinstalling disks is followed.

Any thoughts about connecting the WiFi network being the apparent trigger for the problem?