drive not accessible error

dbraller

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
I've got an unusual problem. I can no longer access my any of my disk drives (floppy, cd-rom, dvd). Anytime I try to access a disk, it gives me a message of "a:/ (or e: or f:) is not accessible".

The interesting thing is that I can BURN a cd, and that my system recognizes each drive, and says they are working properly.

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it? Thanks!

I'm using Win 2K. If you need other specs, I'm happy to provide.

riser

Illustrious
Your motherboard controllers could be screwed up, you might want to try booting to a CD (like the Win2k CD) just to see if it picks it up.
Sounds a lot like your motherboard, but double check to make sure everything is working in your device manager. In the worse case, try to put a hard drive and install win2k on it. Once that's all loaded, see if you have the same problem. If you do, its a good chance it would be your motherboard.

Any recent power outages or spikes hit your computer lately or has you computer been plugged in (but turned off) while they hit? Sometimes you computer can take a hit and not show effects for a few weeks.

Riser

charlie_chan

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Check out your BIOS setting just for the fun of it. If they were altered properly, you could not boot to the OS. You may need to flash your mobo's BIOS.

MSI KT3 Ultra ARU mobo, AthlonXP 2000 set at 1731MHz, Windows98SE/W2K Pro, 1024MB DDR333, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro card, Audigy2ze sound, 431 watt Enermac Whisper pwr supply.