Question Drive not available - Unable to restore Windows 11 from image

Jan 25, 2023
Hi to all,

I am not sure where to put this, so I though under windows 11. Please move if location not appropriate.

I m running into a problem about restoring an image back up to my bootable hard drive. The story goes that my Windows 11 Pro installed on my SSD NVME Firecuda ( C drive) was malfunctioning and did not allow me to boot back in. I could have trying troubleshooting the issue but hey, I have a full backup of my drive (plus partitions, boot records, not just files) so I said, what the heck I m spending time for.

Now comes the problem; when booting from the recovery bootable USB stick, I am able to locate the back up image file but there is no way to locate the SSD drive. In other words, when the destination screen comes, my SSD is simply absent and therefore I cannot initiate the restore process. The software I am using to back up and restore is EaseUS ToDo Backup.

Thinking that this may be related to this software, my colleague at the IT department of the company I am working suggested to try something similar with Acronis Bootable media and try to restore an other image (just as an example, was not trying to actually install an other backup file). Unfortunately, at the very same spot of selecting a destination folder to begin restoring, the SSD drive remains absent there too. So I thought it is not software related.

However, I tried to look into things deeper by using Paragorn Partition Manager from its bootable media. I booted and WAS ABLE to see all drives in the list; my SSD was there, also my D drive, a two Seagate 2 TB as Raid 0. In the other software I mentioned above the Raid drive was also not available. So I tried to delete all partitions in the SSD drive and let it unformated with no partition as one big chunk and tried again. Nothing. I also made a partition and formatted the SSD drive (again through Paragorn) but also no luck; no destination drive available in the restore software.

Side note, all drives I have in my pc are recognized and available in the BIOS main screen. I was also able to make a fresh new installation of Windows 11 on my SSD drive. I also tried to disable UEFI boot mode in the BIOS and turn off secure boot. No result.

My M/B is an ASUS B660-F if that matters and the CPU is an i9, 12 Gen.

Very frustrating. Any idea or hint deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Jan 25, 2023
In the mean time I realized that when installing Windows 11 from a flash drive, I always need to load first a special driver so that the SSD is available in the list to begin installing. It sounds to me that it could be the issue. However, if this is the problem how could I load the driver when booting from an other rescue medium/software?

Jan 25, 2023
Ok, so I managed to solve the issue. The problem was that I had not included the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver during the creation of the bootable medium. Therefore the disk was not available. I recreated the bootable medium with the drivers included and voila! Was able to have the PC up and running in 30 min.

Funny that I knew and doing this when performing fresh windows install but never thought it for the recovery disk.