[SOLVED] Drive not mounting but showing in Disk Manager

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Hi, I have a disk drive that when I plug into USB3 it does not come up on my computer but comes up in disk Manager.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ohB6GtqubNQLsd5Z7

(I Have triad lots of image bin sited and none seem to work, advice on a good one world also be good).

no idea why there are so many partitions.

Any idea how I can get the drive mounted?

update: I just deleted the disk from Device Manager, unconnected it and reconnected it and it gives me the option to Convert to Dynamic Disk. Is this a good idea?

Ben

Last edited:
Solution
It is not giving me the option to assign a drive letter. I can Convert to Dynamic Disk on the drive but that all (apart from deleting partitions).
Right-click on 420GB partition and choose "Change drive letter and path".
You can't assign drive letter to whole disk. You can assign drive letter to a partition only.

Have a look at the image above, it shows 15 partitions. I'm used to seeing a couple of extra small unused ones but this is a little crazy.
Can you show full screenshot of Disk Management window (uncropped image with upper part visible) ?

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Simple question first, does it have enough power? Is a separate external power supplied?

Second, did you try assigning a drive letter to it? Someone else fixed their issue here.

Third, how is it showing it's formatted in Disk Management? FAT32? NTFS?

USAFRet

Titan
What specific drive? Make/model please.
How is this connected?
New or used?
Have you ever used it before? Any data (that you know of) on it?

It's not appearing in 'Windows', because there is no drive letter.

That just needs to be wiped clean, and formatted as on single space.

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
OK, it's a drive of mine that worked fine before. I want to access the data on it. It's plugged straight into a USB3 port on a desktop computer. Gigabyte Z77 motherboard. There are no other drives plugged in (just keyboard/mouse into USB3). I've tried other USB3 ports and even USB2 ones. All show the same in Disk Management.

It is not giving me the option to assign a drive letter. I can Convert to Dynamic Disk on the drive but that all (apart from deleting partitions).

It's just showing a load of small partitions and a 480GB one. None of them shows what the partitions are formatted, just say healthy (see image above). The odd thing is there seem to be 9 primary partitions, which is VERY odd.

Have a look at the image above, it shows 15 partitions. I'm used to seeing a couple of extra small unused ones but this is a little crazy.

It's a Samsung ST500LM012 500GB drive.

Right-click on 420GB partition and choose "Change drive letter and path".
You can't assign drive letter to whole disk. You can assign drive letter to a partition only.

Can you show full screenshot of Disk Management window (uncropped image with upper part visible) ?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS