Drive not ready or disc write protected

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Please be more specific about the problem you are having, how long it has been going on, if this is a flash drive or a hard drive, brand new or previously functioning OK, internal or removable drive, connection cable to the drive, Windows OS.

That way someone can give you a specific answer to the problem

ronaldtirkey

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I am unable to put anything in my pen drive/flash drive. I am also unable to format my pen drive/flash drive. This shows that the disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk.

Please tell me the solution.

Thank You.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Ronald,

Are you "rajendra87" with a different username that started this post, or another individual with a similar problem?

Flash drives sometimes have a hardware write protection switch either on the side or top. If there is a switch, just flip the write protect switch to permit writing.

usbwriteprotectswitch.png

That error message is sometimes seen when the thumb drive has been corrupted from removing it while data was being written to it.
Nothing much you can do about that. Software related data encryption is completely different which requires the key to unencrypt protected data.

srinivaskdh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi Tom's Hardware!

This is srinivas i am from bangalore i ahave a problem in
my Trancend USB drive Which is Capable for 1 GB i can Read the documents in the drive but i cannot copy a file or delete a file from the drive and also i cannot format the USB drive So this is the problem so i may wait for the Answer from Tom's Hardware! Give Me more options so i can workout in all procedure

Thanks

Regards

Srinivasalu T :pfff: :wahoo:

shajimuckan

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

go to system managment ,tools ,remove ,hardware