I am trying to fix an old pc I have but am having problems installing a DVD
drive or a CD/RW drive.
It's an IBM Aptiva - P133, 128 MB RAM, 10 GB HD running XP.
I can get up to a 48X CD ROM drive to work fine but anything else simply
won't work!
Tried DVD on secondary master, primary slave, etc, etc, correct jumper
settings and cable connections, and even though you can see the icon in My
Computer it will not load a disc. The same goes with any CD/RW drive I try,
even though they all work on my other pc fine.
It's a new xp build so the settings should be fine, but could it have
anything to do with the BIOS as it must be a good few years old now?
TIA

It could be a memory problem (not enough) or a power supply problem. Every
device you add requires more pourer and if your don't have enough wattage
going in too the computer you are going to run into problems.