Drive where Windows is installed is locked

Pfhecky

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Hello all,

I have gotten into a mess over the past couple days where my computer is stuck in a boot loop, I've created a boot media from a usb drive with Windows 10 ISO the only problem is when I try to reset my pc it gives an error saying my hdd is locked, doing sfc/scannow in the cmd option says "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" please help I've been stumped for days!

Pfhecky

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Back story is, brought it home from a LAN perfectly fine and once I plugged it in from home I turned on the computer and it showed as if it woke up from sleep mode ( I could see steam friends list and even said I was online even though it I unplugged it) the rest was black so I restarted. Got an error saying critical service failed, then the computer was infinitely loading, so I got it into repair mode. From repair mode I tried to reset the drive and it gave me an error saying it couldn't. The computer then was stuck boot looping until it is where it is now. No drops on the way home.

Rooster__

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

That does sound to me like a failing drive, try replacing it and looking to see if that helps the issue, then you can see if it is down to the drive or another component

Pfhecky

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Do you mean unplugging it? The drive in Question has Windows on it, I've unplugged it before and it asks for a bootable drive or do you mean just launching it with the usb iso while the drive is unplugged? EDIT: keep in mind I have more than 1 drive