[SOLVED] Driver booster absolutely SLAUGHTERED my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Hello everyone, I recently built my first build and made a huge mistake. My gpu is a gigabyte 5700 xt and games would regularly crash causing the error ( display driver amdkmdap has stopped responding and has successfully recovered) in the windows event viewer. I heard about automatic driver apps that find drivers and updates for you from a buddy at work. So I downloaded driver booster and let it scan my pc, it found 10 drivers than supposedly needed updated. Restarted the pc and was stuck on a endless boot loading wheel, booted windows vie the install tool usb and every attempt to fix the system fails. Every attempt to roll back the system to October 10th fails. And now I'm fine with completely wiping the system if I can get it to work, but at 30% install progress of windows a blue screen popped up saying. (Driver power state failure), which I cant seem to find anyone that that's happening too while trying to install. Am I completely screwed?

Solution
You should reinstall Windows, from the very beginning, downloading and installing the drivers yourself. NEVER use those driver update tools.

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
You should reinstall Windows, from the very beginning, downloading and installing the drivers yourself. NEVER use those driver update tools.
Oh believe me, I learned my lesson. The problem is windows wont install. I even did the "completely clean the drive" option. The first install attempt I got (driver power state failure), the second attempt was (driver pnp watchdog). Would previously applied bios settings affect this? Like xmp? I defaulted the motherboard settings and will try again when I come home from work tomorrow morning. Thank you

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Try downloading a fresh image from MS and then installing (maybe using an alternate USB drive or burning a new DVD):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Alright I'll try using an external hdd next. I reverted the bios to default settings but it still failed. I missed the error this time but it reverted back to infinite boot. Now theres like 4 windows operating systems from the failed installs when I'm in the USB install tool. Will a fresh install that actually works remove these? I figured itd wipe everything then install though

USAFRet

Titan
Alright I'll try using an external hdd next. I reverted the bios to default settings but it still failed. I missed the error this time but it reverted back to infinite boot. Now theres like 4 windows operating systems from the failed installs when I'm in the USB install tool. Will a fresh install that actually works remove these? I figured itd wipe everything then install though
During a fresh new install, you NEED to delete all existing partitions on that target drive.

Using an external HDD to do this install?
I hope there is absolutely nothing on that drive you wish to keep. It WILL wipe it clean during the creation of the Win 10 install.

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
During a fresh new install, you NEED to delete all existing partitions on that target drive.

Using an external HDD to do this install?
I hope there is absolutely nothing on that drive you wish to keep. It WILL wipe it clean during the creation of the Win 10 install.
Alright so the second screen after booting into the usb, I should hit install now instead of repair my device and starting a clean wipe from there. Then I'll have the option of deleting partitions. Yeah it's a 5tb 3.5 inch that a bought to use as an external to my ps4 but they never added support for actually drives in docking bays.

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
Wow I feel stupid. Selected install now and wiped the partitions and it installed right away. Installed the recommended gpu drivers, not the newest, and hasn't crashed in game at all. Thank you for the help

D

Deleted member 14196

yes, if there was truth in advertising, Driver Booster could claim to be king of killing windows installations. I am glad you will never use it again for any reason. It's garbage. glad you got it sorted.

all apps that claim to clean your registry, fix problems and install drivers I would NEVER use for any reason on any computer.

Thebrycester

Commendable
Oct 13, 2019
yes, if there was truth in advertising, Driver Booster could claim to be king of killing windows installations. I am glad you will never use it again for any reason. It's garbage. glad you got it sorted.

all apps that claim to clean your registry, fix problems and install drivers I would NEVER use for any reason on any computer.
I'm glad I learned the lesson early on, and not with a computer full of data. I'll update drivers directly from the manufacturer

D

Deleted member 14196

I'm glad I learned the lesson early on, and not with a computer full of data. I'll update drivers directly from the manufacturer
yeah, i had to learn the hard way, back when I didn't do regular backups... lol

remember, Windows 10 takes care of it now for most people in most situations unless you have some oddball hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.