[SOLVED] Driver for CD Rom

orbitboi

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I have a fresh Installment of a Windows 10 on my PC. Everything is going except updates & a driver. More on the updates later. My CD/DVD Rom is a HL Delta Storage Super Multi DVD Writer GH10L. It opens/close & when the disk is inserted the green light flahes then stops. Nothing. So 2 options. 1. It's not working. 2. Needs a driver. Have looked for possible installments but nothing.

Solution
It's far more likely that the drive has failed than this is a driver problem.

Open Device Manager and look to see what it says in regard to the driver. If it says all is well and the "device is functioning normally" (and this means strictly from the perspective of the driver controlling it - not that it's doing its job correctly) it means that something is most likely wrong with the optical drive itself. These are well-known to fail with regularity as they age.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It's far more likely that the drive has failed than this is a driver problem.

Open Device Manager and look to see what it says in regard to the driver. If it says all is well and the "device is functioning normally" (and this means strictly from the perspective of the driver controlling it - not that it's doing its job correctly) it means that something is most likely wrong with the optical drive itself. These are well-known to fail with regularity as they age.

Solution

orbitboi

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Open Device Manager & there's nothing saying anything about CD/DVD Rom. Im sure it's in there somewhere. It's 11 years old so I think you are right. Will get another one & see if that works.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Also, before you get that replacement, you need to ask yourself several questions:

1. Do I actually use optical media these days? (If yes, then finish the questions, if not don't even bother with a replacement).

2. Do I use optical media often? (Particularly if this is a laptop). If the answer is no then you really should consider getting a self-contained external optical drive that connects via USB.

3. Do I want to have an optical drive for occasional use into the foreseeable future? If yes, then an external drive is the only way to go. I have a LiteOn external DVD drive that's over 10 years old, it may be coming close to 15 or more, that still works like new. It gets only very occasional use and is "built tougher" than most internal optical drives are (whether in a laptop or desktop).

TRENDING THREADS