Driver for Nvidea 8800 GT

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Bought and Installed an Nvidea 8800 GT to replace an expired AMD. Everything went fine, so fine that I don't really need to down load a driver for the 8800 as Windows appears to have done so without asking me; how this happened I don't know as, after having removed the AMD card and booting in safe mode, all I did was to run Guru to uninstall the AMD driver and AMDcleaner to get rid of some odds and sods left over. When I rebooted it came up full screen and GPU-Z shows that Nvidea driver 8.15.11.9038 is installed; where did it come from?? I'm not complaining, but the date of this driver is July 2009 and I'm wondering if there is a later one. When I go to get one from the NVIDEA site it offers 334.89 WHQL. However, when I try to download it I get a message that I need Java, but when I try to do this I get a message that The java addon can't be installed with the 64-bit version of Firefox. This sounds more like a business decision than a technical one to me, but does anyone know why this is? When I look for an earlier driver I encounter a lot of posts about driver updates for the 8800 being unstable.
Can anyone recommend a driver later than the one I have and that will down load onto a Windows 7 64-bit with Firefox 64-bit configuration and work??

Solution

The option to import bookmarks is there in Chrome.

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for your answer.

Quite a few people have asked me in the last few years why I wasn't using Google Chrome and I never had a reason up until now to leave Firefox; but this certainly is one. Not supporting Java! Come on!! So I'll probably try it, if it won't be a case of 'Grasping the nettle'.

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Yes, the NVIDEA icon in my tray prompted me to get this driver and I thought 'This must be OK then', but when I attempted to do so I got the same result, i.e. download failed. I guess this is because the down-loader detects that I am using 64-bit Firefox, but I'm curious that I was prompted in this case.

I'm thinking again about changing to Google Chrome because I would have to be able to transfer my bookmarks, and I'm not sure that it's possible to do that.

The option to import bookmarks is there in Chrome.

Solution