Driver for Nvidea 8800 GT

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Bought and Installed an Nvidea 8800 GT to replace an expired AMD. Everything went fine, so fine that I don't really need to down load a driver for the 8800 as Windows appears to have done so without asking me; how this happened I don't know as, after having removed the AMD card and booting in safe mode, all I did was to run Guru to uninstall the AMD driver and AMDcleaner to get rid of some odds and sods left over. When I rebooted it came up full screen and GPU-Z shows that Nvidea driver 8.15.11.9038 is installed; where did it come from?? I'm not complaining, but the date of this driver is July 2009 and I'm wondering if there is a later one. When I go to get one from the NVIDEA site it offers 334.89 WHQL. However, when I try to download it I get a message that I need Java, but when I try to do this I get a message that The java addon can't be installed with the 64-bit version of Firefox. This sounds more like a business decision than a technical one to me, but does anyone know why this is? When I look for an earlier driver I encounter a lot of posts about driver updates for the 8800 being unstable.
Can anyone recommend a driver later than the one I have and that will down load onto a Windows 7 64-bit with Firefox 64-bit configuration and work??

Solution

The option to import bookmarks is there in Chrome.

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for your answer.

Quite a few people have asked me in the last few years why I wasn't using Google Chrome and I never had a reason up until now to leave Firefox; but this certainly is one. Not supporting Java! Come on!! So I'll probably try it, if it won't be a case of 'Grasping the nettle'.

ngoodacre

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Yes, the NVIDEA icon in my tray prompted me to get this driver and I thought 'This must be OK then', but when I attempted to do so I got the same result, i.e. download failed. I guess this is because the down-loader detects that I am using 64-bit Firefox, but I'm curious that I was prompted in this case.

I'm thinking again about changing to Google Chrome because I would have to be able to transfer my bookmarks, and I'm not sure that it's possible to do that.

The option to import bookmarks is there in Chrome.

Solution

Latest posts