Driver for Scanner

I've been using my HP Scanjet 4100C on my windows 98 machine and have now
gotten a new computer with XP home edition. HP doesn't have an XP driver
for the scanner, just an "update for XP". I found one at Drivers.com that's
called scanner.exe. How do I use it? Just run it then try installing the
scanner???

Any wise advice from anyone, especially the MVP's would be appreciated. I'd
appreciate info on the sequence of events to know how to get the thing
running.

Thanks,

Chet

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I've been using my HP Scanjet 4100C on my windows 98 machine and have now
> gotten a new computer with XP home edition. HP doesn't have an XP driver
> for the scanner, just an "update for XP". I found one at Drivers.com
that's
> called scanner.exe. How do I use it? Just run it then try installing the
> scanner???
>
> Any wise advice from anyone, especially the MVP's would be appreciated.
I'd
> appreciate info on the sequence of events to know how to get the thing
> running.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chet

Disconnect the scanner from the pc and power supply. Install the software
that came with the scanner and then apply the update for XP. Follow
directions as far as restarting the computer. Once all is done, plug in the
scanner and let XP find it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a shot.

Chet

"G.R." <gar@belsout.net> wrote in message

> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > I've been using my HP Scanjet 4100C on my windows 98 machine and have
now
> > gotten a new computer with XP home edition. HP doesn't have an XP
driver
> > for the scanner, just an "update for XP". I found one at Drivers.com
> that's
> > called scanner.exe. How do I use it? Just run it then try installing
the
> > scanner???
> >
> > Any wise advice from anyone, especially the MVP's would be appreciated.
> I'd
> > appreciate info on the sequence of events to know how to get the thing
> > running.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chet
> >

> Disconnect the scanner from the pc and power supply. Install the
software
> that came with the scanner and then apply the update for XP. Follow
> directions as far as restarting the computer. Once all is done, plug in
the
> scanner and let XP find it.

Didn't work. I put the CD that came with the scanner into the XP computer,
it autostarted and then a message came up that said OS is incompatible and I
can't go anywhere from there.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:38:13 -0400, "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>Didn't work. I put the CD that came with the scanner into the XP computer,
>it autostarted and then a message came up that said OS is incompatible and I
>can't go anywhere from there.
>
>Chet
>
>"G.R." <gar@belsout.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > I've been using my HP Scanjet 4100C on my windows 98 machine and have
>now
>> > gotten a new computer with XP home edition. HP doesn't have an XP
>driver
>> > for the scanner, just an "update for XP". I found one at Drivers.com
>> that's
>> > called scanner.exe. How do I use it? Just run it then try installing
>the
>> > scanner???
>> >
>> > Any wise advice from anyone, especially the MVP's would be appreciated.
>> I'd
>> > appreciate info on the sequence of events to know how to get the thing
>> > running.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Chet
>> >

>> Disconnect the scanner from the pc and power supply. Install the
>software
>> that came with the scanner and then apply the update for XP. Follow
>> directions as far as restarting the computer. Once all is done, plug in
>the
>> scanner and let XP find it.

You need to download the correct drivers from HP. If they don't offer
them, you could try the 2000 drivers; they often, but not always, will
work.

If all else fails, you will either have to buy a newer scanner, or do
without as you are doing right now.

HP does not offer drivers. You're right about the possibility of Win 2K
drivers. The Win 2K driver sufficed. I was able to get enough of the
software installed to do direct copying (i.e. scanner to printer). The
other scanning jobs e.g. to files, etc. I was able to accomplish by using
Windows scan/camera program. It's jury-rigged but up and running.

Thanks for the reply

Chet