Question Driver install issues with ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT ?

Jan 7, 2023
I have recently tried to install an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT into my computer, and everytime I attempt to install the drivers, at a certain point in the installation the screen goes black and the fans stop spinning. I've waited over 40 minutes doing this and shut the computer down. After doing this the first time, I tried to reboot the computer and it would no longer recognize any hdmi input. I then took out the 6700XT and replaced it with my older gpu (AMD Radeon R9 270), to which the computer would boot up fine and recognize the older gpu. I then installed a DDU from AMD's website to uninstall the drivers and ran it in safe mode to do it. Once it uninstalled all the drivers, I put the 6700XT back in and it booted up fine, but still did not recognize the gpu was installed.

I went back to AMD's website to once again try the same installation for the drivers, and it failed again, both times around 70% on the newest version of AMD Adrenaline. Waiting another 30+ minutes on the black screen and rebooting the computer caused it to recognize no display and it would just boot to a black screen. I once again put in the old GPU and used the DDU from AMD, put the new GPU back in, and looked for the oldest version of AMD Adrenaline on their website (22.4.1). This time when installing, I selected Driver Only, instead of Full Install. It got to around 23% and went to a black screen again with the fans turning off. It has been 35 minutes since this and nothing, I still have the computer running.

I am running Windows 10, with a Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, 16gb ram, and a 620W PSU. Is there anything I am missing, or is the GPU possibly defective?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am running Windows 10, with a Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, 16gb ram, and a 620W PSU.
620W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the PSU? Please include the age of the unit as well.

Jan 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am running Windows 10, with a Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, 16gb ram, and a 620W PSU.
620W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the PSU? Please include the age of the unit as well.
Hello, the PSU is a SeaSonic M12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2). It is actually about 7 and a half years old at this point. Can't say there has ever been any issues with it. What would be the problem with the PSU as far as installing the drivers? Does it get to a certain point in the driver installation where it wants to test the GPU's strength and divert more power to it, then realizes it can't and shuts off (the fans do turn off when the screen goes black) ?

Also, the processor is a AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz processor. I'm sure this bottlenecking with the 6700XT, but I will get a new cpu soon. Just want to make sure this isn't effecting the driver installation either. It's the same age as the PSU.