Question Driver Installation Freezes Computer Needs Hard Reset

whitelightning_189

Commendable
Jan 15, 2018
So I just recently installed Win 10, upgraded from Win 7 via the Media Creation Tool via Microsoft, and have come into problems trying to install any type of driver. Originally it was AMD, I tried both Adrenaline and Eyefinity, and both part way through the install froze my whole system, even to where my RGB fans no longer were spinning the lights just stationary. So I had to hard reset. Then I went to install iCUe from corsair and the same thing happened. I tried disconnecting my internet thinking maybe it was problem with trying to search for new software and it still froze. At this point I don't feel like wasting time over and over again trying to see if a driver will install or not. I originally tried installing the drivers on a 2nd SSD, realized what I did and tried installing on the OS SSD and it still failed at 63% the place it did before, while installing iCUE.

Windows Installed fine, after I installed Windows I downloaded all of the mobo drivers, all of the latest drivers on ASUS website, because Win 7 didn't have support for the mobo and I was unable to download a clean install version because it continually failed, so I had to go the upgrade route. The mobo drivers were originally installed onto my HDD, I don't know if that matter.

System:
Mobo: Asus z170 Deluxe
CPU: i7 6700k
Ram: 32gb 3200 (2x16)
GPU: RX580
SSD for OS
SSD for Programs
HDD for Storage

Nov 1, 2018
Hey bro, I had the same problem with my Lenovo G510 laptop which has AMD R7 M265.
Just follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Before you start ensure that the Intel driver is installed and all things related to AMD driver is removed by using DDU. (Intel driver is for laptops with dual GPU's)

2. Then download the AMD drivers preferably the version WHQL 16.9.2 , or you can try the latest non-WHQL 16.11.2. Link for both drivers
are provided by kingfish above.
3. Run the downloaded driver and it will start to extract the files to C:\AMD But DON'T install it.

4. Once it has been extracted, open the folder, in my case since I used driver 16.9.2, the extracted files are in
C:\AMD\WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep29

5. Inside that folder there will be another folder that has the AMD display driver. In my case the path to the driver is
C:\AMD\WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep29\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF
In this folder there will be a .INF file for me the full name of the file is C0307329.inf, for you the file name and path might
be slightly different.
  1. Copy the file and paste it to desktop. The copied file will be needed later.
  2. Open the .inf file inside the AMD directory using notepad and modify it, by modify I mean erase some things in the file using
notepad and save it.
8. Run the the setup in
C:\AMD\WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep29\Setup.exe
Select all and install everything including Radeon settings and graphics driver. Now if all goes according to plan, when the Setup
is complete it will show you an error message saying that some items were not installed. This is caused because of hash mismatched
caused by your earlier modification to .inf file.

9. Now everything other than the driver will be installed. If you right click in the desktop the option to open radeon settings might be shown.
Then reboot to safe mode.

10. Copy the .inf file in your desktop and replace the modified .inf file inside AMD directory with it (overwrite) (Important step)

11. In safe mode you are going to manually install the AMD driver via Device Manager. Open Device manager find the AMD GPU and right click it
select update device software, then go to "Browse My computer for Driver Software" . Go to Browse and point to the display driver location.
In my case it is: C:\AMD\WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep29\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF
Select next and it will install the driver.

12. Do not Restart, stay in safemode this is the most important step disabling ULPS. Open Regedit and follow the guide by
kingfish ULPS: How to disable (Important Step)

13. After ULPS is disabled restart your laptop. If all goes well(I hope it does) you will be able to start windows properly and use your AMD GPU

The above steps is copy pasted from a AMD forum which helped me. I can confirm that it works with adrenalin edition drivers completely.

All the best,
Regards,
Valeron