[SOLVED] Driver Issue? I don't know, but I think so

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I have been having an issue with my PC, it started after I used Driver Booster 7 (free) and afterwards I have been having small graphic issues. At first I thought it was a virus, I did a full scan through Windows and through Bitdefender and my system is completely clean.

This issue seems to start when I try to play a video online (after I start [or restart] it's normal) - or after a set amount of time, less than 30 minutes - it will do it on it's own, the taskbar flashes like a screen refresh, then all microsoft programs appear as in the image below.

Programs I have noticed that are affected are Settings, Windows Security, Store, Photos, and others I can't remember at the moment - but it seems to only affect Microsoft programs.

I have posted this before here but I didn't get much feedback, and I have been trying to figure this out since I posted - I just don't know what else to do but ask.

I have tried other driver programs to hopefully fix it, but no luck so far, though I have learned a lot about installing drivers manually. I went through most of my hardware and installed as many drivers as possible from the manufacturer (being extremely careful to download the right drivers) but nothing has solved it.

I have used Tom's Hardware a lot in the past and even referred my mom here for help, and hopefully someone can help me resolve this.

Last edited:
Solution
I get that, but as I said in here on just Tuesday - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/driver-update-software-vs-manually-update.3651361/

driver view just uses windows commands to show driver listings in a slightly more appealing fashion than you would if you ran them yourself in Command Prompt. I totally agree about not using 3rd party driver updaters. All it does is show you what is on your PC now. It isn't an updater

if you were to use it, i would go into view and set it to hide all microsoft drivers or list is too long

It makes identifying what you need much easier.

Best idea is only get drivers from the people who made your hardware. But if PC is over about 3 years old, it becomes difficult as not all hardware makers...
I have been having an issue with my PC, it started after I used Driver Booster 7....
And that right there is your problem. Get your drivers directly from the manufacturer's web site/s and install them yourself. Those so called driver utilities are pure garbage. You need to start from scratch, which means a full wipe and reinstall, this time using only the drivers you download yourself.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Such a mess? Programs display like the image, they still work, I can use them to do anything I need. A full wipe is the ultimate way to fix stuff, this is a small graphic issue.

It's annoying, not devastating. I can make the settings appear normal after it happens by pressing WIN + I but not all programs are affected, only settings I think.

Last edited:

Yarzok

Reputable
May 30, 2019
I'm using Driver Booster 4 Pro.
And every driver it installs it creates a recovery file, so you can revert back to the previous driver.
After a scan on the top right there is a tab "Rescue" Click on it, then and on the left side you will see
"Driver Restore"
Hope this help!

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Thank you Yarzok, I was so pissed at Driver Booster I didn't even think about logging in again. After doing so, I didn't see the Rescue button (I have a different version) but I was able to see a history of what was installed. I also didn't see a restore point (I may have stupidly skipped it).

I finally just decided to do a fresh install once I found a good backup tool - I had been thinking of reinstalling for a while, just didn't want to go through the hassle. But now that I have reinstalled, I'm glad I did, everything is running so nice and smooth again.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
After my fresh install, I backed up all default drivers so I won't ever have this issue again. Also, I hear you on the Driverview program, but honestly I am very hesitant for any driver program anymore, lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I get that, but as I said in here on just Tuesday - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/driver-update-software-vs-manually-update.3651361/

driver view just uses windows commands to show driver listings in a slightly more appealing fashion than you would if you ran them yourself in Command Prompt. I totally agree about not using 3rd party driver updaters. All it does is show you what is on your PC now. It isn't an updater

if you were to use it, i would go into view and set it to hide all microsoft drivers or list is too long

It makes identifying what you need much easier.

Best idea is only get drivers from the people who made your hardware. But if PC is over about 3 years old, it becomes difficult as not all hardware makers support their hardware for that long.

If you ever unsure of a driver, you better asking here than use a driver updater.

Reactions: TechIgnorant
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Where did you get drivers after the reinstall now?
Who made PC you using? Is it a brand name or Custom made?
if brand name, did you check website of the model as most of them have updaters on their sites.
If custom, who made motherboard? what model is it? most makers have a site for the boards. Rest of parts windows can normally work out.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
So far, all the drivers are through Windows Update and a few from Intel web site, from GeForce Experience and a few other from the manufacturer.

My PC is custom (in 2018) from Micro Center.
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
  • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked
  • 32 gb RAM
Custom case, watercooled, etc. I like it.

Actually, now that I've completely reinstalled Windows, I am wondering if the newest BIOS would run on my PC.

I've been wanting to upgrade it - I've been on 0606 since I got this PC and there have been a lot of updates. I have a ticket with Asus support, but they aren't directly saying "yes, the newest driver, 2401 will run perfectly with your system." Which is what I've been trying to figure out for forever now.

Edit:
I've been trying to get them to confirm 2401 - or whichever BIOS - is the best for my system.

I only want to flash it once and be done with it, and I've read how risky it is which is why I'm being so cautious.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't normally suggest updating BIOS unless you have problems. Most of the versions since yours do improve system stability so was system a problem at all before you used the driver updater?

Win 10 likely does have most of the software for that motherboard. About only ones you might want are the bluetooth from the ASUS site but windows might have that as well.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Yeah, I've read that before, most people suggest NOT to update BIOS. No, I've had no issues (that I know of) which might be resolved through updating. Just doing the fresh install fixed everything I could think of.

Before all of this, I was trying to get all the security features activated fully. I had my PC for about 2-1/2 years before I realized that Core Isolation, Security Processor and Secure Boot were all off - so my wanting to update the BIOS stemmed from wanting to get all of these fully activated.

I did get them all turned on through the BIOS, but Core Isolation and Security Processor had another step that wasn't activating. After the reinstall, Security Processor seems to be fully operational now.

As for the drivers you mentioned, I will definitely check if those need to be updated, I haven't hooked my phone up to my PC wirelessly yet, but I will soon. Getting everything set up after a reinstall is a pain in the ass, but I think I'm almost done getting all of my core stuff on here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The hardest part is finding the bits you forgot.

I had to swap from my last PC to this one without being able to turn it on for long... although I had spent the previous week backing up everything (coincidence my gpu died just after I finished that and just before i got a new PC). I had written down everything on PC I wanted to reinstall so I don't think I missed that much. I know there will be something.

that was almost 2 months ago now. I Still need to connect phone and BT headset to PC. its not a priority.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Lol, yeah, I completely understand that. I have a folder that I drop every installer in, so I can go through that to see what I have previously installed.

I also made a document of all installed programs just in case. The problem with my installer folder is that like my PC, it is 2-1/2 years old - but I finished going through it today (organizing). I still have to install some.

My biggest thing, is when I deleted the C drive I also deleted my other internal drive accidentally, coincidentally I fully backed up my C drive but not my B drive, lol. Not the hugest of deals, as all I had on my B drive is a lot of my games - and the drive is 4.54 tb, so about 3-1/2 - 4 tb of games I have to redownload. And now I'm on a metered connection (damn AT&T), but I have over 1 tb per month to myself.

TechIgnorant

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Funny thing, I think I was running Windows as admin before I reinstalled, because now I'm getting admin alerts all the time now. I never did before.

EDIT:
Actually this is wrong, I did get them before but now I get them a lot more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS