Question Driver Issues with Radeon R9 290X Tri-X ?

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hey guys, so my niece has a computer that years ago her (now ex) BF I think hacked/overclocked to make it run marginally faster. I never overclock my stuff, simply because of stability and to avoid issues.

It's always been flakey, especially with Fortnite. Now, after the new season came out, Fortnite pops-up saying the installed version has known issues, please update. At the bottom it says

AMD Radeon R9 200 series
Installed: Adrenaline 2020 22.6.1
Recommended: 22.2.2

Had her install HWInfo64 to confirm, and she has a Sapphire Radeon R9 290x Tri-X, and it is a desktop system.

So, I search and when I find 22.2.2, it sounds like it's for a laptop card, like the notebook series not desktop. I don't see the R9 in the compatibility list and if we try to install it, she gets error 182 "unsupported graphics hardware".

Searched for older versions and newest/old version was 21.5.2. Installed that and Fortnite says get 22.2.2. It shows 21.5.2 so it reads the change in versions, but insisting on 22.2.2.

Installed the latest 22.6.1 again, fails to work. Tells her to get 22.2.2 again.

Any idea what's happening there? Also... anyway to "reset" the card to make sure it's as it was from factory? Sadly she lives an hour away so can't just hop over and grab the thing so it's been a slow process. I may loan her my laptop and grab her PC for a week and try to "reset" everything to factory since I know he also overclocked the CPU. It's about as old a system as mine, but playing games, it hangs, resets, crashes constantly. Ideally I would reset it all, and run some heavy stress tests on it. But for now, I'd like to sort out the weird video card issue. :D

Hey guys, so my niece has a computer that years ago her (now ex) BF I think hacked/overclocked to make it run marginally faster. I never overclock my stuff, simply because of stability and to avoid issues.

It's always been flakey, especially with Fortnite. Now, after the new season came out, Fortnite pops-up saying the installed version has known issues, please update. At the bottom it says

AMD Radeon R9 200 series
Installed: Adrenaline 2020 22.6.1
Recommended: 22.2.2

Had her install HWInfo64 to confirm, and she has a Sapphire Radeon R9 290x Tri-X, and it is a desktop system.

So, I search and when I find 22.2.2, it sounds like it's for a laptop card, like the notebook series not desktop. I don't see the R9 in the compatibility list and if we try to install it, she gets error 182 "unsupported graphics hardware".

Searched for older versions and newest/old version was 21.5.2. Installed that and Fortnite says get 22.2.2. It shows 21.5.2 so it reads the change in versions, but insisting on 22.2.2.

Installed the latest 22.6.1 again, fails to work. Tells her to get 22.2.2 again.

Any idea what's happening there? Also... anyway to "reset" the card to make sure it's as it was from factory? Sadly she lives an hour away so can't just hop over and grab the thing so it's been a slow process. I may loan her my laptop and grab her PC for a week and try to "reset" everything to factory since I know he also overclocked the CPU. It's about as old a system as mine, but playing games, it hangs, resets, crashes constantly. Ideally I would reset it all, and run some heavy stress tests on it. But for now, I'd like to sort out the weird video card issue. :D
What's the full PC Specs?

Try to DDU (disconnect internet, tick all option in amd options, clean and do not restart) the graphics card, and try this driver instead, tutorial here. (22.10.1 is otw for nimez, just confirmed it from the author)

also take a note after you install the gpu do not reboot yet, go to device manager, then system devices, and see if there is anything called "Pci bus", if so, right click on "Pci bus" and go to properties > driver > update driver > browse > let me pick > and choose PCI Express Root Complex, if you're on an intel system only.

Reactions: digitalgriffin