[SOLVED] Driver issues within Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 28, 2019
Hello

4 weeks ago I build a new PC with the following specs;

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GTX1080
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB
Power supply: Corsair TX550M V2
SSD M.2: Intel 660p 1TB
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

Now everything basically went flawless after the built but I got a BSOD after using my computer for a good 30 minutes. If my computer was idle, it just ran and nothing happened. Every single BSOD I got had something to do with either the Ram or Drivers according to the internet. I got the ''irql_not_less_or_equal'' BSOD and the ''Page fault in nonpaged area'' for example. I've tried different RAM sticks but that didn't fix it so I'm looking at my drivers, I've completely newly installed my Windows including each of my drivers but the problem still occurs.

The BSOD doesn't tell me which driver it is which is quite annoying. How do I exactly fix this problem?

Sep 28, 2019
New motherboard and a new CPU + Cooler, So far no BSOD however when I turn on my PC, the CPU light on the motherboard will be on and my monitor will stay off. Then after about 15 seconds the CPU light will turn off and the VGA light will turn on, once it does that my monitor turns on and my PC will boot and be on the windows logo for another 10 seconds. Is this an SSD or a RAM problem or is it neither?

Do I have to make a new topic about this problem?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
New motherboard and a new CPU + Cooler, So far no BSOD however when I turn on my PC, the CPU light on the motherboard will be on and my monitor will stay off. Then after about 15 seconds the CPU light will turn off and the VGA light will turn on, once it does that my monitor turns on and my PC will boot and be on the windows logo for another 10 seconds. Is this an SSD or a RAM problem or is it neither?

Do I have to make a new topic about this problem?
Have you updated the BIOS on the new MB yet? If not I would do so.
It can take a bit longer for POST depending on the MB, but I wouldn't expect it to take drastically long. It "can" be normal, but something doesn't seem right. Do you have another GPU you are able to try?
Have the RAM modules been installed as per the motherbord manual? (Presumably they are from the same pack).

Reactions: EverythingInACar
Sep 28, 2019
Have you updated the BIOS on the new MB yet? If not I would do so.
It can take a bit longer for POST depending on the MB, but I wouldn't expect it to take drastically long. It "can" be normal, but something doesn't seem right. Do you have another GPU you are able to try?
Have the RAM modules been installed as per the motherbord manual? (Presumably they are from the same pack).

I haven't done anything to the BIOS because its the MAX version, you sure I should update it? I do have a GTX970 and I have tried that earlier but it does the same thing. The RAM modules are installed as described in the manual, 2nd and 4th slot from the CPU.

Sep 28, 2019
Alright uhm. I flashed my BIOS to the latest version and now my Windows no longer boots. It starts doing a system repair and then it says "automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". Then it says log file SrtTrail.txt..... Great.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did not because I was gonna use my SSD m2 as bootable device later on. Probably should've done that beforehand.... Yikes. Does this mean im eh.. [mod edit: language]
No. It's not normal for a BIOS update to cause an issue afterwards, thus why I didn't hesitate to recommend it. It's usually last resort, but we've covered tons of items already. So I apologise that it appears to have made it worse, however I would've performed the same for any system at this point. Also it's nothing that can't be resolved. The SRT is a Windows OS fault, not hardware/firmware exactly.

You can still grab the data off it if you just run a bootable OS for example, but you should always clean install, it commonly causes issues if there isn't a clean install after major hardware change. Can't you just clean install over this one now? You also want to make sure all other drives are disconnected when you do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 28, 2019
No. It's not normal for a BIOS update to cause an issue afterwards, thus why I didn't hesitate to recommend it. It's usually last resort, but we've covered tons of items already. So I apologise that it appears to have made it worse, however I would've performed the same for any system at this point. Also it's nothing that can't be resolved. The SRT is a Windows OS fault, not hardware/firmware exactly.

You can still grab the data off it if you just run a bootable OS for example, but you should always clean install, it commonly causes issues if there isn't a clean install after major hardware change. Can't you just clean install over this one now? You also want to make sure all other drives are disconnected when you do so.

I have a bootable USB. I'll try reinstalling it because the reset this PC options doesn't work through troubleshooting. I did have my secondary ssd connected while flashing.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a bootable USB. I'll try reinstalling it because the reset this PC options doesn't work through troubleshooting. I did have my secondary ssd connected while flashing.
Yes you'll need to full clean install over it, the reset option isn't really the same. Should be fine after a clean reinstall.
Apologies, meant just disconnect the other drive when you're clean installing.

The SRT is a Windows OS fault, not hardware/firmware (but they can cause the OS to become corrupt for example). So a clean install should resolve it easily enough. And could also explain longer load times.

Sep 28, 2019
Yes you'll need to full clean install over it, the reset option isn't really the same. Should be fine after a clean reinstall.
Apologies, meant just disconnect the other drive when you're clean installing.

The SRT is a Windows OS fault, not hardware/firmware (but they can cause the OS to become corrupt for example). So a clean install should resolve it easily enough. And could also explain longer load times.
Its all good. Positive thing is that I'm the one learning from these things haha. Hopefully all problems will be fixed after a clean installation of Windows. I'll let you know!

Reactions: PC Tailor
Sep 28, 2019
I don't want to jinx it but its been running extremely solid for the past 3 days. I guess the bent pins of the CPU is what did it, makes sense of course because that's no good at all haha.

Thanks a lot for the effort and time you put into this PC Tailor! And also thanks for teaching me some important things. Let's hope everything's gonna stay as it is right now.

Cheers man!