Driver not found for Win 7 install

dayman89

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
This was my first time building a computer and everything went smoothly until the Windows 7 64bit installation. Right after the installation starts, a box pops up that says a "Required CD/DVD drive driver is not found" and that I can take out my Windows CD to install the driver. My CD/DVD drive is a LiteOn iHAS424-98 and the manual says that it should be ready for installation with Windows 7 without any drivers. The drive did come with a CD for Nero 9 and drivers/manuals, but when I put that CD in at the appropriate time, it still says no drivers are found. I looked at reviews for the drive on newegg and most of them said their installation went smoothly, but a couple seemed to have similar problems. However, each time they seemed to be caused by different things. I do not have another copy of Windows so I am trying to find solutions other than buying another copy. I'm not sure what's going on with it.

mibix19

Distinguished
The message probably means Drivers for your Hard Drive which I assume is a sata drive. If It is you will need to download the drivers (if they did not come with the drive)
for it and put them on a disc, (or even a usb stick) You can also alter the settings in your Bios to make it IDE so you dont need drivers, but I am not too sure about this

Might be helpfull if you post your MB (make/Model) and how are your HDD and DVD drive connected in BIOS. For standard configurations and most newer MB - Win 7 has standard drives.

I'm guessing, you have the HDD and the DVD drive on the same SATA controller and not sure what the default BIOS setting is for your controller.

dayman89

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Because the error said a CD/DVD drive device driver was missing, I took that to mean the optical drive, not the hard drive. My hard drive is a Seagate ST3500418AS and did not come with any drivers. The CD drive is a LiteOn iHAS424-98.

What exactly do you mean "how they are connected in BIOS"? If you mean boot order, the CD drive has 1st priority, then the HDD. And yes, they are on the same SATA controller. As far as Windows is concerned, their support website says the hdd should install automatically.

Windows error messages are sometimes misleading. For new systems, Windows should have the drivers for HDD and CD/DVD drive. The problem is most probably:
(1) Problem reading Windows CD/DVD, drive problem or disk problem
(2) Biois not set properly.

Reason for asking about MB make/model is the Bios's are set up different and Different MB have different set of controllers.
For example: My MB is a Gigabyte P55-UM4P. There are 2 different controllers for internal drives plus a controller for 2 esata ports.. I have the SSD and HDD attached to SATA port 0 and 1 This is set to AHCI mode. My blu-ray/DVD writer and My DVD-RW are connected to the GSATA controller This controller is set to IDE. Also both controllers have to be Enabled.

My bios (lines effecting Storage devices (SSDs, HDDs, and or CD/DVD)
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [ AHCI ]
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]
eSATA Controller [Enabled]
eSATA Ctrl Mode [SATA]
GSATA 0_1/IDE Controller [Enabled]
GSATA 0_1/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

If you only have one controller for your SATA HDD and DVD drive then that controller must be set to (1) Enabled and (2) to a mode that is compatable with both.

dayman89

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

My MB is a Biostar TA890FXE. I'm currently looking at the SATA configuration and both my HDD and CD/DVD drive are connected to the same SATA controller that is enabled and set to AHCI.

G

There have been a number of reasons here.

Just found the problem on this computer that I'm upgrading for this guy.

The Gateway CD/DVD is faulty.

I attached a external Plextor CD/DVD, via usb, and the win7 install went past this.... Guess the frickin optical drive is buggy.

Although PCLinuxOS-2010.7 live-cd booted fine on that initenal drive.....hmmmmm?

charles14

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I am having the same problem i am changing an hard drive from a hp mini 210-1090nr the first hard drive got messed up so im booting from flash drive i created using diskpart and installing windows 7 but it says *device drivers are missing* and it cant detect them can i get some help please. thank you

macbill

Honorable
May 10, 2013
This is typically not a DVD driver issue. It is a MoBo issue. DVD works fine through most of the install. The only way I have been able to get around this problem is to install WinXP. Upgrade to Vista and then upgrade again to win7. But now I have lost my original factory install of Vista and cannot find anything online. I have tried 3 different DVD burners with same result. Tried updating MoBo drivers...failed. If anyone knows where I can get a full Vista install disk please let me know...Free of course.

edwardsmith

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I am total agree with macbill try the following steps given by macbill. if you facing same problem after following steps then make a contact with your System " Windows Tech Support " team members to get rid of your problem.