Driver Power State Failure Win7

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I recently was having problems with my laptop hard freezing, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium only to have the problem carried over. Now whenever I leave the computer alone to automatically sleep without hitting the power button, the computer will many times black the screen and then lock up and need to have the power button held to shut down (no BSOD or events recorded.) To remedy this I tried to remove the automatic sleep timer and moved to only sleep when I press the power button; it sleeps without lockup about half the time.

Whenever the computer DOES sleep, I have it set to hibernate after 2 hours of sleeping. At this point the next time I wake the computer, it tells me that the computer blue screened during that period and now restarts fresh. I've included a Bluescreenview copy/paste showing some things, but can post a dump if needed. Multiple threads around the web show no obvious solution, has anyone been able to fix this problem before?

052714-21091-01.dmp
5/27/2014 2:02:47 PM
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
0x0000009f
00000000`00000003
fffffa80`046f9a10
fffff800`00b9c4d8
fffffa80`0406f010
ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
NT Kernel & System
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation
6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)x64
ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0

Solution
intel makes the driver for their device, then they strip it down to make it kind of generic and give that copy to microsoft.
Most often the best driver with the most fixes will come from Intel. (they remove code they don't want to share with microsoft)

the windows plug and play system will automatically install the driver if it is on your machine. (right after you uninstall it)

you have to disable the auto install of the drivers in control panel (search for change device installation settings, device manager) and select the "no" option and a list should pop up that you can select not to install devices. (i forget what it says) you select that option, then go back to device manager, remove the driver, and install the one you...
make sure the laptop has newest bios file to see if it a bios bug. run hdtune read the hard drive smart warnings. with a clean install of the os make sure all off the mb chipset and other drivers were installed and updated. missing a chipset driver may be the issue.

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

SMART tests are coming back clean. I tried chipset drivers just before I posted this thread, thinking the same thing, but as of today they didn't work. I also updated the BIOS right after reinstalling Windows. I got the same BSOD warning just as I turned on the computer today.

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I noticed that Windows Update replaced the chipset driver with a newer one, so I reverted back to the old one and only made small progress. The computer no longer locks up while trying to sleep, however it still will not successfully resume from sleep. Once in sleep mode for longer than 30-60 minutes, when turning on the machine it will just say "Windows did not shut down properly, start Windows normally?" and will force me to start anew. This however doesn't cause a blue screen with driver error. What is going on here?

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I've disabled hibernate and hybrid sleep settings, as well as ran memtest for 8 hours. 5 Passes and zero errors. Awakening/restarting is still returning a Windows notification that the OS has recovered from a BSOD stating DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. What causes this to go wrong after 5 years of having this laptop?

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
It seems to be sporadic blue screen reports. Sometimes when awakening after an hour, it will need to restart and throw me an error saying that it blue screened. Sometimes after 8 hours it will awaken just fine. I'm not sure what is happening now.

post the memory dump file (.dmp) on a cloud server like google docs or maybe skydrive and I will look at it in the debugger and see what windows thinks the problem is.

generally, lots of older machines have hardware that did not implement low power link states correctly in the electronics. This was not a problem because windows had them turned off by default. As bugs were found, people who wrote the drivers disable the functions. As time passed the driver functions were reenabled on the assumption that the devices were no longer in use. Then the driver was handed over to microsoft and was gets pushed as a update, but now the function is enabled by default and the machine breaks. Often the "fix" will be to disable the function in control panel power management for the offending device.

this was a very common problem because vendors did not like to hand off updated drivers to microsoft because microsoft would attempt to test the drivers and would reject them if they failed (and charge them for the testing)
Microsoft does not charge them anymore but I don't think they test them now either (the vendor certifies that they ran the tests)

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETw5s64.sys Wed Jan 13 08:37:13 2010

this driver failed to respond to a sleep transition request and windows figured the device was broken and called a bugcheck.

the driver is a intel wifi network adapter and should be updated.
-

-i would update from the toshiba website or the intel website or you can turn off the wifi adapter from sleeping in power management.

note: there are other updates that could be a factor, your BIOS is very old and there can be bugs that require a update but start by updating
the driver for the wireless chip.

machine info:
Manufacturer TOSHIBA
Product Name Satellite A355
Version PSAL6U-03S01E
Chassis Type Notebook
Product KTKAA
Version 1.00
BIOS Version V2.40
BIOS Starting Address Segment e2cf
BIOS Release Date 12/22/2009

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I've updated what I believed to be the driver for the adapter and although the problem ceased for almost 3 weeks, I got the same BSOD error tonight. Would you be willing to check the .dmp to see if there were any noticeable changes between this and last time?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xxfq5t320acyj2/071714-28407-01.dmp

looks like the same problem:
NETw5s64 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETw5s64.sys Wed Jan 13 08:37:13 2010
the driver is out of date, the PCI bus told the device to shutdown and it did not, a timer went off and cause a bugcheck because it thought it was a hardware failure.

Looks like you did not update the driver or you still have the old driver selected even though you may have installed a updated one. my guess is you have actually delete the old driver and select the hardware to use the new one. (you can have many potential drivers on the same system for one type of hardware, you have to enter into
control panel, start device manager, find the network adapter then right mouse click, select update driver
but do not select search automatically for updated driver
select "browse my computer for driver software"
then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

and it should show a list of drivers. (I think my system had 6 drivers for my one card, 3 from microsoft and 3 from intel)
the list did not show the dates so I had to use another utility to determine which was the most current and select it)

anyway, your driver did not get updated.

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

So I've downloaded 3 different drivers for my model of laptop from:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2231468

I've tried the Atheros driver, Realtek driver, and Intel driver within and out of safe mode.
1. I uninstall and check 'delete driver software' from the wireless adapter.
2. I go to scan for hardware changes and it instantly reinstalls the 'Intel Wi-Fi link 5100 AGN #2' without asking me, no browsing for files or anything.

Since Windows 7 apparently comes with the latest wifi driver, I can't override it with the (possibly) working driver from an earlier date. At this moment, I've changed (from a list of drivers) from Microsoft to Intel. The Intel version is earlier than the Microsoft one so I'm going to hope that this one will work.

intel makes the driver for their device, then they strip it down to make it kind of generic and give that copy to microsoft.
Most often the best driver with the most fixes will come from Intel. (they remove code they don't want to share with microsoft)

the windows plug and play system will automatically install the driver if it is on your machine. (right after you uninstall it)

you have to disable the auto install of the drivers in control panel (search for change device installation settings, device manager) and select the "no" option and a list should pop up that you can select not to install devices. (i forget what it says) you select that option, then go back to device manager, remove the driver, and install the one you want. then go back and reenable the auto install of drivers again.

Solution

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Guess who's back? I'm still having BSODs but much less than before even. Windows hasn't replaced the driver automatically, luckily, but the problem is still persisting with the Intel drivers I reverted back to. Does this dump happen to say anything different compared to the previous ones? Thanks for your patience.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63wwgnhl0p3ais9/082414-41855-01.dmp?dl=0

http://i.imgur.com/MJOAaD4.png

bugcheck 0x9f

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: fffffa8004727a10, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff80000ba2748, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: fffffa8005e7b440, The blocked IRP

the bugcheck was in the PCI.sys driver for the PCI bus. It was caused because of a bug in
netw5s64.sys
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETw5s64.sys Wed Jan 13 08:37:13 2010
Intel 5100 wifi look here for update
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

Note: if you can not get a update for the driver, go to the windows power management and find the wireless driver and tell windows that it can not put it to sleep to save power.

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Thank you for all of your help. Everything has been working well for the past month.

mtbpete

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

I am having the same problem. Did you get the correct driver or disable sleep?

TheConsciousness

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Microsoft kept wanting to force it's Windows Updated driver on my wireless card, but I had to revert it back to the driver from Toshiba. Though the driver is 6 years old, it no longer gives me trouble.

mtbpete

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

I entered the name of the Network Adaptor on the site recommended by johnbl https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx Then I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility and updated the driver. It DID find a new driver for my network adaptor which the computer maker HP did not. Since the new driver has been installed I have no more shutdown errors when the computer is put in sleep mode. Thanks johnbl!