Driver Power State Failure

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
So I have been having issues with my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit shutting down properly, about 90% of the time it won't shutdown and it just BSoDs and then reboots. I finally took the time to just sit here and stare the the screen until I saw results. I saw the other posts around here but I wasn't sure if the cause/fix would be the same for everyone or if it varied.

BSoD Picture: http://oi63.tinypic.com/x40lzl.jpg

It also had a popup on my screen once Windows loaded back up giving me a file location for a dump file, I can post that as well I just don't know the best way to post a file like that.

Solution
If you want to start with hardware checks, try RAM one stick at a time of different sticks. Try a different power supply.

I would start with a clean Windows setup first, but that may be harder for you if you don't have the media to do that. Using a spare hard drive can be good so you are not wiping your setup and if the new Windows setup does not help then you can just go back to using your original drive and test out some more hardware.

Motherboard may be suspect. Try a BIOS update, make sure all other drivers like chipset are also updated.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Quick update on what I have done so far....

Link to 2 dump files produced: http://1drv.ms/1OKqM5x

This is the link to the 2 dump files produced, and I recently saw something in regards to disabling C6/C7 power options in my BIOS which I attempted to do via this screenshot http://oi68.tinypic.com/2nbgcad.jpg -- It unfortunately did not make a difference after disabling, so I just re-enabled them. I also downloaded WinDBG to open up the dump files so I could actually make an effort to look into them myself. I did manage to open, and read them, but I wasn't quite able to interpret it as I am not familiar with this kind of process.

If you want to start with hardware checks, try RAM one stick at a time of different sticks. Try a different power supply.

I would start with a clean Windows setup first, but that may be harder for you if you don't have the media to do that. Using a spare hard drive can be good so you are not wiping your setup and if the new Windows setup does not help then you can just go back to using your original drive and test out some more hardware.

Motherboard may be suspect. Try a BIOS update, make sure all other drivers like chipset are also updated.

Solution

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I've done a Memtest on RAM and let it run overnight, got around 5 passes I believe all clean.

The Windows is a fresh install, I just built the PC maybe 2-3 weeks ago. All parts are compatible and brand new EXCEPT for GPU and PSU, they are coming at the end of January.

Motherboard BIOS was up to date when it was occurring however there was an update maybe 1-2 days ago that I can do. As far as drivers go, I was told 2 separate things.
1.) don't update it unless you need to (i.e. Having issues that will be fixed with an update)

2.) Update everything to latest

Motherboard driver updates have me more confused than anything else. Other than BIOS, idk how to tell which ones I even need with the amount to choose from AND there being multiple drivers under each tab.

Not to mention I have no idea what each driver is even doing for me with the updates. I'm kinda one of those people that yeah I will do what is needed to be done BUT I would really like to understand what it's doing and why so that way I've got a better understanding. Rather than just doing it and leaving it at that.

Also does that dump file not basically tell what it is that is causing it to hang up? The issue is shutting down, it gets hung up on the shutting down screen and results in a BSoD which does its thing then restarts my PC.

Even if memtest ran OK, try running one stick at a time.

For the motherboard drivers, the main one is the chipest, storage (hard drive controller and USB) and BIOS (although that is not really a driver).

If this was happening ever since you installed Windows on it, then I'd check with a different power supply, maybe video card. If the system was OK for a bit then this started, try a clean Windows setup again. If it starts soon as you get all drivers installed or earlier, you would have ruled out Windows as the issue.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Okay so the memory is good to go, the motherboard drivers I actually had not updated the chipset or storage. Reason why being posted in my previous reply above yours. I do not believe this was happening in the beginning, I believe before I updated anything it was shutting down/restarting just fine. However I could be wrong, it was a really long day that day.

Power supply, I am actually getting a new one at the end of January along with a new GPU. If it makes any difference, the GPU/PSU that I am currently using I WAS using with my previous PC without having any issues restarting or shutting down.

the system bugchecked because some hardware device did not respond in a reasonable time. My first guess is the 2 overclocking utilities mess up the hardware timing or the device that did not respond was a USB device and the ASUS drivers messed up the USB. I would also remove the AndroidAFDx64.sys driver It could be the device that did not respond. (can not tell from the minidump)

i would just remove the overclocking utilities and asus software drivers and retest.
old overclocking drivers tend to apply the incorrect voltages to the new CPUs like
yours (i5-6600K). Also, I try not to debug systems running with a overclock. Too many times the overclock is driving the electronics incorrectly.

your system was up for 17 mins, if you get another bugcheck, you will want to change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump. This will save the debug info for the power management and the USB subsystem and filter drivers and internal error logs. The kernel memory dump will be saved in c:\windows directory as memory.dmp file, it will be much larger in size but will have the required debug info to see what device did not respond.

here are some issues I see in your memory dump:
remove or update, It is used to override the USB specs for apple devices.
Image path: \SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AiChargerPlus.sys
Timestamp: Wed Apr 18 18:17:35 2012

overclocking driver remove.
Image path: \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\IOMap64.sys
Timestamp: Tue Jul 02 01:27:47 2013

another overclocking driver. remove:
Image path: \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver\64bit\iocbios2.sys
Timestamp: Thu May 28 13:42:10 2015

special asus usb filter driver, i would remove it
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\ASUSFILTER.sys
Timestamp: Tue Sep 20 08:46:33 2011

not sure what this is: (virus scanner i think)
\c:\Program Files (x86)\SAVITECH\SVLoadSense\x64\SvThLSNS.sys
Timestamp: Wed Dec 03 18:28:33 2014

note:
AndroidAFDx64.sys the debugger did not like this driver

-looks like you are running a key server on this system, often a indication of a pirate version of windows running. Ie scan for hidden malware and root kits.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Working on those right this minute, do I need those overclocking driver since.....my CPU is overclocked? otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought the unlocked "k" version.

The SAVITECH/SVLoadSense/ -- according to this website http://processchecker.com/file/SVLoadSense.exe.html and http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/1240 it may have something to do with the Realtek audio drivers?

The AndroidAFDx64.sys - again I do not know 100% but according to websites I have ran across it has something do with the ASUS AiCharger so maybe that was somehow fixed when I deleted the first one. I never plug my iPhone into my PC anyways unless I am just pulling images off anyhow.

This:
-looks like you are running a key server on this system, often a indication of a pirate version of windows running. Ie scan for hidden malware and root kits.

I have no idea what that means tbh, but I do not (should not at least) have a pirated version of windows. In my "signature" area it shows my PC build that I have. I built it maybe 4 weeks ago, purchased EVERYTHING from Newegg (with the exception of my peripherals, I purchased from retail stores nearby)

Reason I noted when I built it is because of the Timestamps that you mentioned, I wasn't sure if those were when the file was created by (whoever), because I did not have my PC built and running until around the Dec. 10th 2015 maybe

you will want to uninstall the overclock software until you figure out the problem, then you can reinstall it but only a version that is newer than the CPU release date. New cpu tend to use a lower voltage for the clock frequency, the old overclock drivers will apply too high a voltage for any given clock rate. I think your CPU was released in august of 2015, the asus overclock driver from 2013 is not a good idea. The intel driver from may 2015 is most likely ok because intel would have known about the requirements for their new cpu at the time the driver was compiled.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Alright I will do that, looking at my motherboard driver website https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Again people have told me to download everything, and other people have told me only download what I need.....What is your thoughts?? The only reason I haven't downloaded them all myself is me being new to all of this and didn't want to ruin anything.

UPDATE: Okay so I have gone into those folders and removed the noted files, I put them in a folder on my desktop just in case needed. I didn't see any "uninstall" but I may have been looking in the wrong area, but like I said.....I did go in there and move them out of the folders.

First test coming up in about 10min

Done, BSOD, and found the MEMORY.dmp

Link to MEMORY.dmp : http://1drv.ms/1R9EG7w

I think your BIOS was trying to talk to your USB devices but one was disabled.
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03\7289_1.0
this looks like Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB
if you have one, you will want to update the driver, maybe put it on a usb 2.0 hub rather than a USB 3.0 hub.

Anyway the device failed to initialize
------------
I think your BIOS tried to talk to a device Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB
but the device is not working or is disabled in device manager.
enable it and put it on a usb 2.0 hub rather than a usb 3 hub.

the system bugchecked because of a stack overflow

will look at the internal logs for more info

----------
AsUpIO.sys Mon Aug 02 19:47:59 2010
AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012

update these if you can (or remove them)

debugger indicates
Usb3Kd Detected KNOWN_ISSUE_9F_POWER_Client_Driver_Holding_Power_IRP

sounds like a bug in the usb3 driver and it is waiting forever for the disable device to respond. You will want to update the USB3 drivers and find out why your device did not respond or why it is disabled. I would plug it into a usb 2 connector and confirm it is working correctly.
still need to look at other internal logs

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Actually that would make sense at least.....I have a Corsair H100i GTX water cooler and there is a USB that goes from the cooling block on the CPU to an internal USB thing on the motherboard. I will show you a picture in just a moment. However Corsairs drivers weren't signed and I was having an IMMENSE amount of issues with the coolers software working properly. It DOES....cool my CPU and performs the job well. But the software is an absolute nightmare.

Posted on Corsair forums about that and tried just about EVERY troubleshooting method I could find plus the ones they suggested to me. Nothing seemed to work. All in all I have kinda determined that their software works when it wants to for some people, might not work at all, might work perfectly.

Update: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2m3ss3t.jpg this is it installed, you can kinda see the usb plug on the bottom side of the block.

This is where the other end is plugged into at : http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15umiv&s=9#.VoxKu_krJhE

I DO have it disabled in my Device Manager but even when it was enabled, I still had issues with it, from my understanding I shouldn't need it installed. Therefore I should....be able to unplug that USB cable on the motherboard (which is only used for the software portion) and uninstall the driver. Correct??

you might look at intel for a update iusb3hub.sys
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
or look at your motherboard vendor for updated intel chipset drivers.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
the version there was released 8/3/2015
you are currently running the microsoft generic version from Mon Jun 15 06:54:05 2015. your system might require the custom version on the motherboard website.
I would hope they fixed the issue of the hub waiting forever. You would still need to find out why the device did not respond or was disabled.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Is there any specific order I need to download these things in? My BIOS is about to be updated to the most recent version. After that I will update ALL of them for the sake of having them all up to date.

i would update the BIOS but the BIOS often requires the USB support drivers to be updated and maybe the audio drivers and people often don't do that step.

you can run cmd.exe as an admin and run
driverquery.exe
and it will list your drivers with timestamps. It can help to confirm that you removed a driver.
Often people remove the driver and windows plug and play reinstalls it 3 seconds later from the driverstort.
in those cases you have to remove the driver package. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875.aspx

also usb devices can be a special case where you can have different versions of the same driver associated with different usb ports. When you remove these they just get hidden rather than removed. You have to set device manager to show hidden drivers before you can remove them (or use the pnputil.exe method described in the link)

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Okay so I can begin with Chipset -> USB -> Audio -> BIOS -> SATA -> LAN ??

Figure I can do this, and go from there, maybe all of these issues are being caused by Motherboard drivers being out of date. So after they are updated, if I get BSOD again, possibly have different or the same things appear. Seems like it might be easier to go from that position.

Back up a step, you can't troubleshoot anything till you set the speeds to stock, you are just adding another variable to the issues, and you may even be having the issues because of the overclock.

TRENDING THREADS