[SOLVED] Driver power state failure

Nov 6, 2021
Hi All!

I have installed Windows 11 on my computer a month ago and ever since installing the drivers I have noticed that whenever I turn on my computer, It boots up fine and stays normal. But after 30-60 seconds it freezes for 1 second and shows the blue screen with the code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. After the reboot, everything is normal again. This happens every time I start my computer. I have tried an sfc and DISM scan but nothing seems to work. It is kind of annoying and I want it to be fixed ASAP

Hardware:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte A320M-H
Western Digital Blue 500g NVME M.2 SSD
TP-LINK wifi usb adapter
Nvidia GeForce GT-710 lol

Solution
I did what was suggested turn on power settings to maximum performance and I was on my computer longer than I have been for days. Ty now I can track down the offending driver. Without the blue screen of crash. Happening tyvm. Better advice here than I found anywhere else in a week or more.
you can run cmd.exe or powershell as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
(then look at the report it generates)
or this new command:
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics

Generate System Sleep Diagnostics Report Using PowerCfg.exe in Windows 10 » Winhelponline

note it could cause a bugcheck if you have a bad driver.
if it does then it may make the report and save it before the bugcheck happens
(or not). the report might indicate...
basically, windows tells some device to go to sleep but the device does not respond to a wake up request. I would guess windows tells your wifi adapter to sleep, then your usb port sleeps. if you try to wake the wifi it will not get the wake packet and a bugcheck will be called after some time out.

I would just go into windows control panel, hardware, device manager and right click on the wifi device to bring up properties find the power management tab and click the setting to tell windows not to put it to sleep to save energy. Then do the same for the USB port.

you could also run a tool to figure out the problem.
ie run cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy

it will generate a report you can look at in a browser.

to fix the system to work correctly with power management on:
you often have to update the bios, update the motherboard device drivers for the USB 2 and any usb3 chips, update the CPU chipset drivers and drivers for all of the USB devices. Problem is some older USB devices have bugs in the circuits and you still have to disable the sleep function using device manager.

the minidump file .dmp should contain the name of the driver that failed to respond. sometimes you have to change it to a kernel memory dump to get the info on usb devices that stop working.

(most likely the problem will be with your USB wireless card driver)

Nov 6, 2021
basically, windows tells some device to go to sleep but the device does not respond to a wake up request. I would guess windows tells your wifi adapter to sleep, then your usb port sleeps. if you try to wake the wifi it will not get the wake packet and a bugcheck will be called after some time out.

I would just go into windows control panel, hardware, device manager and right click on the wifi device to bring up properties find the power management tab and click the setting to tell windows not to put it to sleep to save energy. Then do the same for the USB port.

powercfg.exe /energy

you often have to update the bios, update the motherboard device drivers for the USB 2 and any usb3 chips, update the CPU chipset drivers and drivers for all of the USB devices. Problem is some older USB devices have bugs in the circuits and you still have to disable the sleep function using device manager.

the minidump file .dmp should contain the name of the driver that failed to respond. sometimes you have to change it to a kernel memory dump to get the info on usb devices that stop working.

Hello!

Thanks for the detailed response! I have tried all your tricks and none of them have worked. I just wanted to know if a windows reset would fix the problem? Thanks again

Hello!

Thanks for the detailed response! I have tried all your tricks and none of them have worked. I just wanted to know if a windows reset would fix the problem? Thanks again
I would not expect a reset to fix this problem, but you can give it a try if you want.
a clean install of windows has a better chance as it would not have the custom drivers that could not be upgraded by windows update.

Feb 26, 2022

powercfg.exe /energy

I did what was suggested turn on power settings to maximum performance and I was on my computer longer than I have been for days. Ty now I can track down the offending driver. Without the blue screen of crash. Happening tyvm. Better advice here than I found anywhere else in a week or more.

Reactions: Blackink
you can run cmd.exe or powershell as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
(then look at the report it generates)
or this new command:
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics

Generate System Sleep Diagnostics Report Using PowerCfg.exe in Windows 10 » Winhelponline

note it could cause a bugcheck if you have a bad driver.
if it does then it may make the report and save it before the bugcheck happens
(or not). the report might indicate which device or driver fails

Solution