[SOLVED] Driver Problems

Apr 28, 2021
I have Toshiba DX730 All-in-One. Had it for several years. Just now getting error message in the Devices & Printer section. When I troubleshoot the problem through windows I get this message: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I've tried several online "fixes" but nothing works. I've been in the registry files and applied the online "fixes". I think the device being referred to is the Toshiba installed cd drive. It's also identified as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT 51N

Did a system restore and updates - no fix. Drivers are up to date.

Stumped. Can anyone help.

Thanks.

Solution
I think the device being referred to is the Toshiba installed cd drive.
this infers that you DO NOT know exactly which device is causing the issue.
How would disconnecting the drive help
with the device disconnected, if the error persisted than you would know it was not the DVD drive causing it.
if it actually is the DVD drive, then you can further work on repairing the issue.

restarting without the drive attached will remove it from Windows' device queue.
one easy step to take next(after disconnecting) would be running an application like CCleaner that will remove any references to the device from the registry.
then you can try to reconnect, start up again, and let Windows freshly identify the device and try again to load...

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Why do you think that it is the CD/DVD drive.?

The easiest way to check this is to eject a disc if the re is one in there, turn the machine off and get handy with a screwdriver and take it out. If it is not attached it cannot cause errors.

I suggest finding out how to remove the drive before starting to remove screws.

Apr 28, 2021
Why do you think that it is the CD/DVD drive.?

The easiest way to check this is to eject a disc if the re is one in there, turn the machine off and get handy with a screwdriver and take it out. If it is not attached it cannot cause errors.

I suggest finding out how to remove the drive before starting to remove screws.

It's the drive because it's listed in "Devices and Printers" AND I can see it in "Properties"

Remove the drive? How is that going to help. If it's removed how do I use it?

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
It's the drive because it's listed in "Devices and Printers" AND I can see it in "Properties"

Remove the drive? How is that going to help. If it's removed how do I use it?
Just as a test to see if the errors go away.

If they do then you at least know for sure where the problem lies.

You can then decide to continue to use the drive and ignore the errors, test whether the data being read from/written to the drive is corrupt, or to replace the drive.

As JohnBonhamsGhost stated, you can simply disconnect the SATA cable, but that still means using a screwdriver.

Good luck.

I think the device being referred to is the Toshiba installed cd drive.
this infers that you DO NOT know exactly which device is causing the issue.
How would disconnecting the drive help
with the device disconnected, if the error persisted than you would know it was not the DVD drive causing it.
if it actually is the DVD drive, then you can further work on repairing the issue.

restarting without the drive attached will remove it from Windows' device queue.
one easy step to take next(after disconnecting) would be running an application like CCleaner that will remove any references to the device from the registry.
then you can try to reconnect, start up again, and let Windows freshly identify the device and try again to load proper drivers for it.

if Windows cannot find the proper drivers on it's own;
it may just be too old to work properly with updated Windows 10 anymore,
you may need to reinstall your software & drivers directly from Toshiba,
you may even need to do a fresh install of Windows to correct any internal data corruption,
or the drive may have actually malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.

When it is disconnected I have no access to it?
...If it's removed how do I use it?
do you have access to it now?
if not, why would you even care if it's currently disconnected?

Solution

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
no it doesn't actually.

SATA data cables are only held in place by a spring mechanism that you press with a finger and pull to remove.
they are effectively plug-n-play similar to a USB cable, only with a more firm connection "locking" them in place.
You need a screwdriver to get to the cable, unless his all in one has some kind of tool-less opening system, which would surprise me a lot.

There is also a chance that there is no SATA cable at all and the drive slots straight into the motherboard like an awful lot of laptops did when they still had optical drives.