Driver removal

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
I'm having problems with my radeon and I think it may be a driver problem. I have an nforce2 chipset motherboard. But, when I go to add/remove programs it has a spot for ati drivers, nvidia drivers, and nforce2 drivers. I tried to remove the nvidia drivers but i get an error
"script error:
current script file:(null)
string being parsed: uninstallGUI"
So i downloaded driver cleaner 3, basically cuz i want to install omega drivers instead. anyways, my question to you is when it comes to pick nvidia or ati on the driver cleaner, should i pick nvidia also to see if i can get rid of those drivers or are those drivers for the nforce2?

I wouldn't uninstall drivers if you're not sure.

Use a program like <i>Detonator RIP</i> or <i>DetonatorDestroyer</i>. They should target only the nvidia video drivers and remove them and leave your mobo/chipset drivers alone.

You can get both Detonator RIP and Detonator Destroyer at Guru3D.com

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 06/25/04 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for the help. The only thing is, I read about the R.I.P and it says to remove them from add/remove programs first and I can't do that. The Destroyer one is not ment for win2k and xp and I have XP. Have you ever heard of driver cleaner? I got it from omegacorner.net. Think this would work?

Yeah I've used DriverCleaner quite alot between catalyst installs, I didn't have it at work, so I couldn't really refer to it. The actual creator is DriverHeavan a supporter of Omega's site.

It should work but you should be clear of what you are removing before doing so. From the drop down box in DC3 you should be able to specifiy the driver type and there are 4 different options for nV. You definitely don't want to chose the nforce drivers, since you want to keep those. You would want to select the nvidia (and nvidia WDM if you had a personal cinema series) though, and that should do it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: