[SOLVED] driver support for older builds of win 10

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I was wondering, do new gpus and their drivers work on older builds of windows? like if I got a 3060 and tried to run it on a 2016 or 2017 build of windows would the driver be compatible? I was wondering because if a new win update kills compatibility for a program or takes a feature away I may stay with an older version and not update. like if the next windows update does something I dont like, and I stay on 20h2, will new gpus in 5 years work on this version? and are there less optimized drivers that are compatible with older builds that im not aware of? like a basic driver that I can still run games on?

Solution
will new gpus in 5 years work on this build
Crystal ball says - ¯\(ツ)

I've been running Win 10 since literally Day 1 of the original Tech Preview. This on a laptop from 2009.
I have had NO update disable a previous working application or hardware.

I had an old printer (2004 era Dell laser) that couldn't make the jump from Win 7 to 10, but that was the printer...not Win 10 or its various updates.

USAFRet

Titan
will new gpus in 5 years work on this build

I've been running Win 10 since literally Day 1 of the original Tech Preview. This on a laptop from 2009.

I had an old printer (2004 era Dell laser) that couldn't make the jump from Win 7 to 10, but that was the printer...not Win 10 or its various updates.

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

ok good, as long as all apps can still work, and I can still use offline indefinitely(no forced online at install) I will always update on all my pcs. a printer is a weird thing to not be compatible.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Sorry for spelling the truth here, but running old/obsolete Windows versions are not really a choice because of the security risk that imposes.
on an offline testing pc with some offline applications there are no security flaws, because it wont touch the internet. on my main pc thats always online I will always update it.