Question Driver Timout during Gaming

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I have started experiencing an AMD driver timeout error while gaming. It is not intense gaming either (playing WOW at ultra low settings and lowest resolution possible). Temps seem good. Been running this gpu for 6 months without issues. Is my GPU failing? I've noticed right before the game crashes, I hear a slight buzzing sound from my computer, and then the AMD driver timeout error shows up and my game quits. How do I find out what the problem is here? Drivers are up to date for GPU.

Rig:
Core i7 9700k | 32 gigs of RAM | MSI Z390 Edge AC Gaming mobo | RX 6650XT graphics | Corsair RM750 Gold PSU | Windows 11 64 bit

Ralston18

Titan
Are the drivers up-to-date? Even if so, reinstall and reconfigure. Current installation may be buggy in some manner or corrupted.

How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Identify the source of the buzzing.

= = = =

Try to find more information about the crashes.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the buzzes and the game "quitting".

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format can be revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

More information needed.

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Are the drivers up-to-date? Even if so, reinstall and reconfigure. Current installation may be buggy in some manner or corrupted.

How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Identify the source of the buzzing.

= = = =

Try to find more information about the crashes.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the buzzes and the game "quitting".

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format can be revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-windows-10-event-viewer.2752289/

More information needed.
PSU is 2 years old. Was not heavily stressed at all and is actually pretty overkill for how much power my PC consumes... This GPU has been weird since the day I bought it. Actually my MSI RTX 2060 performed better..

I'll investigate the reliability history

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
How do I isolate if this is a GPU issue? Can't I run like Furmark or something to expose problems? I ran furmark for 30 mins with no issues the other day... Should I wipe and reinstall windows?

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU does not necessarily have to be stressed per se. Just some spike in power demand may be all that is needed to cause things to go astray. As the PSU ages (nearing its' designed in EOL) more problems will likely occur.

Yes: do take a look at Reliability History. The timeline format can be quite revealing. Look for entries that began appearing about the same time as the timeouts and buzzing.

= = = =

Event ID 4101 is associated with display driver problems.

Could be buggy or corrupted Windows files.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

= = = =

To isolate:

Try booting into safe mode with GPU present.

If supported, test using iGPU (integrated graphics). The CPU includes Intel UHD Graphics 630 as I understand the specs.

Failing that then power down, unplug, and remove the GPU.

Just be methodical and change only one thing at a time. Objective being to discover a configuration of hardware and software where there is no longer any buzzing and/or time outs.

Then "add back" until the problem re-occurs. Culprit likely being the last change that was made.