Driver twilight zone: "color profile: not available"

I may have entered Nvidia's twilight zone. Please help with my driver
configuration. I am using ForceWare 71.84 on my 6800 LE graphics card.

Since Half-Life 2 is running too dark (monitor brightness & the gamma
setting in the game are maxed out), I wanted to create a profile in
the driver with a higher gamma value.

- Under "Color Correction" I created a color profile called BRIGHT
with the gamma set to 1.94.

- Under "Performance & Quality Settings" I have created a new
application profile called HL2. I have linked hl2.exe to this profile.

- In the advanced settings of HL2, I've selected BRIGHT as the color
profile to use.

So far so good...

- Then, when I run Half-Life 2, the image is *not* bright. Quitting
the game and opening the driver settings reveals the following
twilight-zone related horror...

Color profile: not available

If I take the steps manually, e.g. I select the BRIGHT profile before
starting up Half-Life 2, everything goes well. But I want to make use
of Nvidia's automated feature.

CAN ANYONE SHOW ME THE WAY OUT OF NVIDIA'S ZONE WHERE NORMAL THINGS
DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN???

Thanks,
Arend

"Arend van Beek" <arend_van_beek@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I may have entered Nvidia's twilight zone. Please help with my driver
> configuration. I am using ForceWare 71.84 on my 6800 LE graphics card.
>
> Since Half-Life 2 is running too dark (monitor brightness & the gamma
> setting in the game are maxed out), I wanted to create a profile in
> the driver with a higher gamma value.
>
> - Under "Color Correction" I created a color profile called BRIGHT
> with the gamma set to 1.94.
>
> - Under "Performance & Quality Settings" I have created a new
> application profile called HL2. I have linked hl2.exe to this profile.
>
> - In the advanced settings of HL2, I've selected BRIGHT as the color
> profile to use.
>
> So far so good...
>
> - Then, when I run Half-Life 2, the image is *not* bright. Quitting
> the game and opening the driver settings reveals the following
> twilight-zone related horror...
>
> Color profile: not available
>
> If I take the steps manually, e.g. I select the BRIGHT profile before
> starting up Half-Life 2, everything goes well. But I want to make use
> of Nvidia's automated feature.
>
> CAN ANYONE SHOW ME THE WAY OUT OF NVIDIA'S ZONE WHERE NORMAL THINGS
> DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN???
>
> Thanks,
> Arend

Have you associated your monitor with a color profile yet? This page
and tab don't seem available from the Nvidia control applet in this
driver.
Right click desktop, Settings,on Display Properties page-Advanced
button, Color Management tab. If it's empty, then you need to add one.
This might have something to do with your problem.
McG.