[SOLVED] Driver uninstall when upgrading

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Hello, everyone. I have seen conflicting information in my searches online regarding CPU/GPU upgrades and associated driver uninstallation.

1. When I replace the CPU and/or GPU, do I (or should I) need to uninstall the drivers for the old CPU/GPU?

2. If answer to above is yes, then what is the best way to do so? I have seen recommendations to do it through Device Manager, and others to do it through third-party apps. There are even recommendations out there to do a fresh install of Windows.

3. For the CPU specifically, I will need a BIOS update prior to my planned upgrade being usable. In this case, do I upgrade the BIOS before or after physically replacing the CPU?

Please let me know if there are any other things I didn't consider. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you upgrade the CPU on a motherboard, you merely need to make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS version. Nothing else needs installing/uninstalling/reinstalling. As for your GPU, you use DDU to remove all GPU driver remnants prior to powering down and removing your discrete GPU from the build before you plonk in the new GPU, after which you manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD, Nvidia or Intel in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator(if you're working with a Microsoft Windows OS environment).

Lutfij

Titan
If you upgrade the CPU on a motherboard, you merely need to make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS version. Nothing else needs installing/uninstalling/reinstalling. As for your GPU, you use DDU to remove all GPU driver remnants prior to powering down and removing your discrete GPU from the build before you plonk in the new GPU, after which you manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD, Nvidia or Intel in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator(if you're working with a Microsoft Windows OS environment).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25
Solution