Question Driver update 'erased' my network adapter. What do I do?

Oct 4, 2022
Yesterday I wanted to update my motherboard (MSI B150M BAZOOKA) drivers for the chipset and the like, since they've been untouched for almost 5 years now. To make things simpler, I used MSI's Live Update utility that searches for the latest drivers and installs them automatically. At first, it seemed to work fine until the utility started to install the Realtek PCIe driver for my motherboard, after which I lost my internet connection. After restarting the PC and checking the settings I saw this:

wdPfRgqJ_o.png

My controller vanished from the Adapter list and I had NO way to connect to the internet. (That NordVPN TAP driver was no longer in use since I uninstalled the app ages ago, so it's not relevant).

The device manager showed that my adapter was still present, but appearently could not be set up by Windows properly:

tYrXzZbH_o.png

Driver Info:

9ExM24xY_o.png

This driver version is the latest that is supported by my motherboard according to MSI's website. At first I thought it did not install correctly so I grabbed the installer for that same version from Realtek's website and install it that way. The problem is that if I select in the installer to remove the previous driver, it hangs and I have to close it via Task Manager, if I select to repair the driver (It was the only other option I could pick) the install 'completes' with an error message that reads something like:
'The Network Controller could not be detected. If Deep Sleep mode is enabled, please re plug the cable'.
The issue still persists after another reboot.

I have no clue what to do next, I even manually flashed my motherboard to the latest BIOS version in hopes it would help, but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To make things simpler, I used MSI's Live Update utility that searches for the latest drivers and installs them automatically.
That was your mistake. You manually locate the latest drivers for your platform, cross-referencing your motherboard maker's support site.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Might want to try and uninstall your networking drivers from Device Manager, power down, clear the CMOS and then replace the battery after 30 mins. Power up and then manually install your networking driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

The device manager showed that my adapter was still present, but appearently could not be set up by Windows properly:

tYrXzZbH_o.png

I have no clue what to do next, I even manually flashed my motherboard to the latest BIOS version in hopes it would help, but it didn't.
Any ideas?
Delete the device from Device Manager and rescan for hardware changes.
If that doesn't help, then reinstall Intel chipset drivers.
Then reinstall LAN drivers from MSI support site.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-BAZOOKA/support#driver

Oct 4, 2022
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
It's E7982IMS.IG0 (7982vIG) dated June 23rd 2018.

Also running Windows 10 64-bit.

I've just reset the CMOS. Should I reinstall the latest chipset and LAN drivers for Win 10 64-bit from MSI's website? Or one's around the same date as this BIOS release?

Oct 4, 2022
In device manager, try to uninstall and tell it to delete the driver when it does, then as was said above, try to have it rescan for hardware, or simply reboot then either reinstall the older driver or see if windows picks the driver up.

After uninstalling the driver via device manager and after rescanning, it seems to default to an adapter with an old driver (that still doesn't work) If I try to uninstall it, I won't let me delete the driver files either:
FjLfxm7q_o.png

Oct 4, 2022
I'm going to bed, it's almost midnight where I live. I think I'll try manually reinstalling the newest chipset and LAN drivers later. In the meanwhile, feel free to leave any more suggestions.