Driver update ruins everything

TexT12

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Hi there. I have a 7970 running the 14.10.1006 driver. I currently have 3 displays set up and all working in extended desktop mode.
They are connected with:
1) HDMI
2) DVI -> HDMI cable
3) Displayport -> DVI -> HDMI.

I know that seems convoluted but all the displays are working fine at this point i have no issues watching video or gaming on any or all the displays. I have updated all the other AMD software to the latest versions with no issues. The nightmare starts when I try to update the graphics drivers. When the update is done I have 3 black screens until I unplug one of the displays. From that point on I can only ever get a combination of 2 displays to work but never all 3. CCC tells me I need to disable one of the displays to enable the 3rd one. The only solution to get all 3 working again is to system restore to a point before the driver install. Did they disable this kind of arrangement in the newer drivers or am I missing some crucial step?

Simple - - don't update the drivers if existing ones are working okay. it's not compulsory to update drivers you know, though you'd think it was the way many people do it religiously. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And you don't need to run System Restore to get the previous drivers back. Just use the "Roll Back Driver" feature in Device Manager.