Drivers all gone after installing Optane Driver via ASROCK 1 Click Optane resulting in Windows Reinstallation

Mar 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post.

So I recently finished my build and didn't install any drivers from the Disc given by the motherboard ASROCK. Windows 10, no yellow tick in the hardware as well.

But then I feel maybe I should install the driver given by the ASRock, I head over to their website and download the driver from them then try to install one by one. Had no problem at all. Then I install the Intel Rapid Storage Management, no problem as well. After that I move to Intel Optane Memory Driver and told me that I cannot install that Driver because I have Rapid Storage Management.

Then I tried 1-Click-Optane-Driver by ASROCK. When I start it, command prompt shows up and start installing, then my PC restart and I cannot login anymore at this point. The reason is because my password is keep incorrect, I believe I need wifi to connect to my account which at this point, there's no connection available at all. Moreover, the graphic also became like 800x600 (like before installing GPU Driver). So I believe that all my Driver is gone or reseted. Very stressed and panic I start to plug in the USB and maybe reinstall the Windows. I click on "Custom" in the Windows Installation and found out that the partition became like 4 (some MBR Reserve, some Recovery) which initially only had one. I tried to install the Windows but then I had error message " windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.". I then formatted the 4th Partition which has the Windows file I believe because it is the largest size and try to Install on it but had the same error message, after few restarts and same error message. I tried to format all partitions and then delete all.

The moment I delete all, the partition becomes one again and I can now install on it. My question is should I be worried?
Will it affect my PC performance or maybe I need to contact the mobo or anything will happen with my SSD?

Thanks sorry being paranoid

Solution
What you saw was completely normal.

A reinstall from a failed install requires that you delete all existing partitions and start again.
As you did.

Except for installing that Optane drive, with no Optane memory installed.
Don't do that.
Why you tried to install Optane Driver if your system has no Optane Memory installed (at least this is what I guess)? Anyway, aside from the fact that you lost all data on SSD, there is no harm to hardware from doing clean Windows install no matter how many times and which way you do that.

USAFRet

Titan
What you saw was completely normal.

A reinstall from a failed install requires that you delete all existing partitions and start again.
As you did.

Except for installing that Optane drive, with no Optane memory installed.
Don't do that.

Solution