Drivers auto reinstall after uninstall

I put in a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard into my pc and
when i start it up it asks to insert driver CD and let
windows automatically do it. I usually hit cancel but I
was curious this time and did it, now it installs the
drivers fine but all the shortcuts to the applications with
the driver wont work of course. When i try to uninstall
the drivers so i can just use the application install from
the CD, xp reinstalls them without even asking me. How can
i stop it from doing this so I can install the drivers
correctly?

"Matt D" said in news:284f01c42805$4cf41a70$a301280a@phx.gbl:
> I put in a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard into my pc and
> when i start it up it asks to insert driver CD and let
> windows automatically do it. I usually hit cancel but I
> was curious this time and did it, now it installs the
> drivers fine but all the shortcuts to the applications with
> the driver wont work of course. When i try to uninstall
> the drivers so i can just use the application install from
> the CD, xp reinstalls them without even asking me. How can
> i stop it from doing this so I can install the drivers
> correctly?

Try deleting (uninstalling) the device in Device Manager and see if on a
reboot you get prompted for the drivers. If not, find the .inf file
under the \Windows\INF directory which defines that device; if it is
still there, and if the drivers files are still there, then Windows has
everything it needs to reinstall the device on a boot. If the INF file
is missing, Windows won't know how to setup the device and so it will
prompt you for the drivers. However, I have seen where even this
doesn't work (sometimes happens with modems) and you have to remove the
entry for the enumerated hardware device under the ENUM registry key,
but trying to identify the device under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum can be an effort.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.