Drivers causing windows not to load

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Well just recently my computer started having problems where the video card would not work correctly. It would start out by showing the bios of the video card at startup and then continuing to load windows only to crash at login screen. After several restarts I started seeing many artifacts on startup. I was able to only load xp by pressing F8 and doing system restore. But now it wont work anymore. I had to go into safe mode and delete my ati 1900xt drivers for it to finally load windows. Now when i reinstall the drivers it give me the same problems of not loading windows causing me to restore to when i didn't have drivers installed. Please Help Me! :(

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I would first boot into safe mode, disable the Automaticaly restart on critical error. That way when the problem arises it should give you the BSOD which you can then lookup the information on what is causing your problem. The other quick and dirty thing you could do is uninstall and re-install your chipset and GART drivers, then re-install the newest ATI cats.

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
C:\DOCUME~1\EFRAIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER097f.dir00\Mini122706-05.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\EFRAIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER097f.dir00\sysdata.xml

This is the error report i keep getting. I have installed the latest drivers but still will not let me load up windows. Computer works fine w/o drivers and able to load windows but with the drivers but it wont load. I have disabled te auto restart but still does nothing. Thanks for the help so far

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I totally agree. What the Omega drivers allow you to do can be done with a nice little addon app to your reference drivers called ATITool. It allows me to dynamicly clock my cards core and ram, temp monitoring, the whole 9 Yards. I ran the Omegas for a while back at Version 4.2 to 4.6 or something like that, but went back to reference.

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Well its not the options on the drivers that are good but it allows me to load windows up while the ati ones do not allow me to do that for some reason.

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Well it happened again and ive given up trying to use ati drivers and just bought a nvidia card... This better work because im heading back to school and i need this comp to work well. This is ridiculous! :evil:

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Well it happened again and ive given up trying to use ati drivers and just bought a nvidia card... This better work because im heading back to school and i need this comp to work well. This is ridiculous!

So I'm not the only one who hates ATI's drivers & CCC. The Omega drivers are definitely a breath of fresh air but nVidia card will provide you will all those nice little options that make the difference (especially in a dual-monitor setup).

Jo

infyrno917

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
When windows activates a component by use of a driver and the system crashes out this can be many things:
-Driver conflict
-Device conflict (check for BIOS updates)
-Not enough power (be sure you have a quality power supply that is actually providing the rated power)
-Faulty device

You can try stripping down your system to just CPU, motherboard, PSU, VGA card, one optical drive, one HDD, installing your OS to a different HDD (for testing purposes). From this point install only your chipset drivers and ATI drivers.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I read in another thread that there are little program that will uninstall and clean everything for a Video driver. You could try that and then reinstall the latest driver and if still fail, the drivers that came with your card.

For that little program, may be someone else could help me and add a name and link. I believe it "DriverCleaner" http://www.drivercleaner.net/. I do not know if it free or something else like that is free.

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I believe it to be a hardware problem because my computer has several errors at startup one long beep 2 short telling me something is wrong with my video card. For some reason i have to force the card into its slot before my computer posts. That being an issue and having problems with the drivers has lead me to go to nvidia. Thanks for all the help i should be getting my new card soon.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
For some reason i have to force the card into its slot before my computer posts.

Hardware problem? OBVIOUSLY! I'm betting it's not your card, but your mobo or motherboard alignment in your case which is stopping you from FULLY SEATING the video card into the slot. Do you insert it far enough for the slot locking mechanism to fully engage?

If this is the scenario, doesn't matter which manufacturer you chose! If you have seating problems, then you very well have corrupt drivers. You also need to install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Another possibility adding to the problem is a power supply that is not strong enough for the system, these higher end cards require more power.

Have you OC'd this card? Have you modified the cooling? Why wouldn't you RMA the card unless it's out of warranty? I've been running ATI vid-cards for many years now... driver issues are RARELY the problem anymore! True, many years ago ATI had issues, but not anymore. NVidia seems to be having their own share as of late. As far as gaming, the only games that NVidia cards will dominate in when the cards of the same class are in Open GL.

Just my 2cents

*edited for clearer wording*

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
As far as gaming, the only games that NVidia cards will dominate in when the cards of the same class are in Open GL.

Not to turn this into an ATI-nVidia debate, but not necessarily. Did you forget about the 8800 series? Those cards dominate in every game now.

That being said, if you have to align the hardware for it to work correctly, there's probably a problem there. The card has to be rock solid in the slot for everything to work right. Make sure the card is locked in there real good, or that's going to be the problem.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Not starting an ATI/NVida flame debate!!! I said "Of the same class", The NVidia 8800 is in a class of it's own right now! NVidia is well known to excel in Open GL, most ATI fans will even admit this.

Sigh...

4745454b

Titan
As an ATI fan I'd like to remind some people that ATI has made a lot of progress in OpenGL.

Quake 4 benchies.

I do admit they have lots of work still to do, but its getting a bit more complicated to just say ATI for DX, Nvidia for OpenGL. Each side has been gaining on the other.

Aegaeonos

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I have done several fresh installs of xp trying to solve this problem. I have used drivercleaner and still no help. Tried recent bios update with no luck. I need this computer to be functional for school. The card is seated well i have taken my whole comp apart and put it all togather again several times. Its my last straw. I have no other choice.

p.s. this card worked fine for several months with no problems until recently

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
p.s. this card worked fine for several months with no problems until recently

If you have not many any other changes to your hardware, or played around inside the case, you have answered your own question: The video card has gone bad!!! If you are within the manufactures warranty period, RMA the card!

There are many reason vid-cards (or any other add-in card) goes bad. Board down componant failure, voltage spikes, or commonly an over-heated card due to failing/dirty fan, or improper cooling due to case design, or other factors.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Good choice going with the omega drivers.I've found that they quite often fix problems that the manufacturers drivers cause,or don't correct.Anyways glad to hear you solved your prob for now.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.533 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
ATI is retarded; I've been using Nvidia cards for who knows how long, and I've never had a driver problem. My brother wanted to express his individuality and, ignoring my advice, bought an ATI card for his new system: it crashes not stop, even when just using the word processor. He's tried everything, even the Omega drivers (which, to ATI's shame, were made by some guy who was tired of ATI's foot dragging on graphics issues), but nothing works.

ATI sucks, they don't offer good drivers, nor do they offer support for when these inferior drivers fail. Nvidia drivers NEVER mess up (I have yet to see it) and yet they have good customer support. My conclusion: buy nvidia.