Drivers for Canon Pixma IP1600 printer in Windows 7 64bit required. (unsolveable!)

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Can someone please direct me to an uncluttered, uncomplicated site where I can obtain drivers for this printer?
I have the Linux drivers installed on my Linux Mint 17.1 operating system, but not on this W7 operating system.
When I google it in Windows, I am offered many complicated sites, with far too much clutter (that is the best word I can use for it), than required. Also, of doubtful provenance.
I have had this old printer working in Windows 7 before, on an older computer that has since broken down.
Thanks,
Jim.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
First disconnect the printer then go to add/remove programs and uninstall the printer drivers . The next part might be unnecessary but restart the computer, now install the printer drivers when finished reconnect the printer . This always worked on older systems! Now go to devices and printers you should now see your printer you may have to set it as default . I hope this helps .

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks instyne. I tried that, but the pinter still does not respond. I started to fill in the enquiry form to contact Canon for assistance. However, the form asks for a serial number and I cannot find one on my printer.
I do have a second computer running Win10 - 32 bit which has drivers installed that operates this printer ok.
I suppose they are different to those required to run it in this 64 bit Win7 operating system?

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015

Canons website will tell you where to find the serial number. You might lift the printer ink cover it might be printed there if it's not on bottom or back of printer. Technology is great but the user guide can be a pain to find.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks instyne.
I did look up the Canon site for instructions of where to find the serial number, but gave up. That is until I read your post and had a look inside the ink cover. The number was hidden behind the transport ribbons; they had to be pulled aside to reveal the number.
No mention of that from Canon!

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015

I'm glad I was able to help and thank you for letting me know. Hope you're up and running.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I received a second email message from Canon Europe. It consisted of a long policy statement about what drivers they maintain and update etc. etc.
Then they apologised for not being able to provide one for this printer. Well, it was more or less and apology.

So, I think this quest is a dead end. I will have to buy an new printer if I want to use this printer on Window 7 64 bit.
Luckily, I still have it operating on another computer operating on Linux Mint 17.2 and Windows 10 32 bit.

It seems that the older 32 bit compatible drivers are still available, but not the newer 64 bit.

Blackink

Distinguished
Have you tried other versions of that driver?
I mean try a Windows XP 64 Bit driver?
The reason I ask is because I have a Canon Pixma IP4000 printer, and for both my wife's fairly new laptop (purchased February of 2013 with Windows 7 Pro 64Bit and my brand new build with Windows 7 Pro 64Bit AND an older PC I just installed a new Samsung 250GB SSD into and installed Windows 7 Pro 32Bit, the printer would not work on any of them when the correct driver was installed for the particular OS, ie: Win7 64Bit OS with the Win7 64Bit driver, Win7 32Bit OS with the Win7 32Bit driver.....nothing would work.

I tried several attempts and many different installations but the only thing that worked in the end was the drivers for the Windows XP 64Bit OS !!!
Go figure?!? Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell you why the drivers listed for the particular operating system would not recognize my printer.
I'll bet I spent several hours and many Google searches before I found a forum where somebody tried the Windows XP 64Bit drivers on a Windows 7 OS and they worked.

Before I go out and buy a new printer, I'd try the Windows XP 64Bit and/or the WindowsXP 32Bit drivers.

After all that I went through, I'd be surprised if one of them didn't work.
Good Luck....

Edit: And even if you try the Windows XP 64Bit or the 32Bit drivers and get an error that the install could not finish, just click on OK or whatever you need to do to exit the operation safely. Then re-start your PC and go to the Printers & Devices in Control panel and see if the Printer is listed. You may have to change it to the default printer.
On my brand new Windows 7 pro 64Bit PC build, after several attempts at installing several different versions of Canon drivers for the Pixma IP4000, during the install of the Windows XP 64Bit driver install, I got an error message near the end, that the installation could not finish. I don't remember exactly what the error message said.
I just clicked OK, or whatever the message said in the error window, closed out of that window, re-started my computer, and there was my Pixma printer!!!

Create a restore point before trying different driver versions, once you find the driver that works, write it down so you don't forget which one worked, roll back to that restore point you created earlier, and then install the driver(s) that worked.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

No I have not done that yet. I'll see if I can find that driver and give it a go. I am wary of downloading just any site offering such things called: "Driver updates - install now!" and such. So will have to find a reliable source first. I am accustomed to using linux, which is much safer in this regard.
Create a restore point before trying different driver versions, once you find the driver that works, write it down so you don't forget which one worked, roll back to that restore point you created earlier, and then install the driver(s) that worked.
Sorry, but I don't know what this means? Can you please explain what a "restore point" is please?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think there is a good chance they will work. Just have to find them etc.

Blackink

Distinguished
Before you start doing any driver installations, create a restore point in Windows 7. Label it something like "before canon drivers installations".
Then go to the Web site that is listed above, select Windows XP 64Bit for your operating system from the drop down menu, and download the drivers. if it doesn't work, try the Windows XP 32 bit version.
I'm sure something will work from that link above, it's a Canon Web site....

For info on creating a restore point on Windows 7...Google it: how do I create a restore point on Windows 7. You'll find step by step instructions on how to do it.
Then Google: how do I restore my Windows 7 PC to an earlier time.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Ok, thanks for that advice Bubblehead.
I will edit the title of this thread as "unsolveable".

Thanks to all who have offered assistance.

Jim.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Thanks for that. My computer does see the printer and shows it as installed with the green arrow on the icon in printers.
I will try you suggestions above tomorrow morning.

This is very typical of older printers, scanners, etc they stopped making 64 bit drivers for them. If you use this device a lot, by multiple users, then you have no choice but to buy another. You cannot use 32 bit driver in a 64 bit OS.

If you use this device sparingly, single user, It's possible to run your old 32 bit OS in a Virtual Machine, but this is not for folks who need help finding a driver.

Latest posts