[SOLVED] Drivers in Device manager

Lukas85

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
Hi, I'm wondering if my PC detects my devices properly. I've installed mouse and monitor drivers and in device manager I can see drivers from 2006 or later date. For example I installed drivers for my Acer VG240Y from 2019 and it shows drivers from 2017. I have Scarab Avago 5050 mouse, after installing new drivers its name isn't showing in device manager. Only HID compatible mouse with drivers from 2006. Should I see my manufacturer mouse name in device manager? The same about keyboard, drivers from 2006. Is that normal?

Solution
download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

You can check the driver versions or creation dates to see when it was actually made. A lot of times driver packages include old drivers, they just update the installer.

They won't show under mouse/keyboard as that section is for older devices that expect it to exist. I have the same 2006 drivers in those folders.

Does mouse show under Human Interface devices? Keyboard should also show there. it might not, my...

Colif

Win 11 Master
download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

You can check the driver versions or creation dates to see when it was actually made. A lot of times driver packages include old drivers, they just update the installer.

They won't show under mouse/keyboard as that section is for older devices that expect it to exist. I have the same 2006 drivers in those folders.

Does mouse show under Human Interface devices? Keyboard should also show there. it might not, my keyboard doesn't.

Does mouse show on Settings/Devices/Bluetooth & other devices? it should be under the Mouse, keyboard & pen header (see below)
HyLkAD6.jpg

oddly, my mouse shows with a keyboard icon but I am not going to argue.
Microsoft trying to move away from device manager, put more functions in settings so its all in 1 place.

Solution

Lukas85

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I've installed Driverview and confirmed that no mouse nor keyboard drivers are visible there. There is also no mouse and keyboard listed in HID. However I can see mouse and keyboard listed in Bluetooth & Other Devices.

When I change mouse settings (for example DPI or report rate) it does change and affect games and applications. Why do I bother? Because I try to fix terrible mouse stuttering that happens in only one game. So I thought maybe that is because Windows can't see the mouse. So the mouse application with settings launch and is working but there is no visible driver for it in HID. Strange.

I don't even bother with keyboard as it is cheap - office keyboard but rest of my hardware is for gaming.

Do you think that I shouldn't bother with mouse not visible in HID as long as changing mouse settings work?

Thank you for your time.

I've installed Driverview and confirmed that no mouse nor keyboard drivers are visible there. There is also no mouse and keyboard listed in HID. However I can see mouse and keyboard listed in Bluetooth & Other Devices.

When I change mouse settings (for example DPI or report rate) it does change and affect games and applications. Why do I bother? Because I try to fix terrible mouse stuttering that happens in only one game. So I thought maybe that is because Windows can't see the mouse. So the mouse application with settings launch and is working but there is no visible driver for it in HID. Strange.

I don't even bother with keyboard as it is cheap - office keyboard but rest of my hardware is for gaming.

Do you think that I shouldn't bother with mouse not visible in HID as long as changing mouse settings work?

Thank you for your time.
Microsoft intentionally date some common drivers as very old (typically 2006) for compatibility's sake, that doesn't mean that they are that old. Don't compare dates but driver's version number.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft intentionally date some common drivers as very old (typically 2006) for compatibility's sake, that doesn't mean that they are that old. Don't compare dates but driver's version number.
that won't help either with the 2006 drivers as version number will be the version of Win 10 they were installed with.
Some of the drivers installed with win 10 have dates way back to 1974 and way into future, just to avoid being deleted.

I wouldn't worry about device manager.

TRENDING THREADS