Drivers Question about getting new pc part.

Ninjaster

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
If I were to get a new part for my PC say a r9 290x and I currently have a hd 6670 would I have to wipe my computer completely? Or do I just get new drivers and stuff?

Solution
uninstall Catalyst Control Center. That's the hub with all the drivers. It'll come back when you reinstall the drivers from your graphics card's disc (or from the manufacturer's website download), and then you can update through AMD's website.

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
AMD driver install packages are generally conjoined too, so because you currently have an AMD card you probably won't have to uninstall the old drivers either (but is highly recommended to do so). I just upgraded from an HD 6670 to an r9 390x, and all I did was install the drivers on the CD and update through AMD's site and it's working strong.

Ninjaster

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

Forgot to ask this but where exactly would I go to uninstall old drivers?

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
uninstall Catalyst Control Center. That's the hub with all the drivers. It'll come back when you reinstall the drivers from your graphics card's disc (or from the manufacturer's website download), and then you can update through AMD's website.

Solution

Ninjaster

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

Ah okay thanks man!
Anyways how are you liking that upgrade? How much faster do you think it is?

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
my 6670 couldn't run games higher than 22fps on medium with no AA or anything on. This is like night and day. I was actually considering tossing my old 6670 in the garbage because of how much it annoyed me for years, but my friend wants it for his bro to run minecraft with.

Aside that, yeah I run games 1080p 60fps ultra settings, but my CPU is holding me back a bit (fx-8120, 3.1ghz). I may go Intel in a bit, but I'm holding off for now. My PC is now an oven too because it's too small, it barely fit my card lmao
CIibXqZXAAEAc_j.jpg:large

Ninjaster

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

I do have an AMD cpu as well? Would you recommend I not uninstall catalyst or yes uninstall catalyst?

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
yeah you'll be fine, you don't technically need Catalyst Control Center. I believe Intel has its own powertune drivers that no one ever uses too. All the options with CCC will come back when you reinstall drivers for your new GPU.

Ninjaster

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

Ahh cool, BTW you have a 8120 and you said it is holding you back right? Does that I mean I should save up for intel as well? Anyways have you tried overclocking the cpu to see if it helps?

When you go to uninstall, just make sure you remove only the display drivers. Don't remove your SATA drivers, USB Filter driver, or chipset drivers.

gilaphreak

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Doesn't AMD uninstall the other versions automatically when installing a new version of CCC? I seem to recall it performing a preprocess that handled all of that when upgrading to my R9 290x... In any case, I would recommend downloading the latest from the website - rather than using the disk that it comes with.

You can look at the benchmarks, but I believe Intel CPUs have been the top dogs for quite some time now. Always been interested in an octacore processor from AMD, but the benchmarks of the Intel i7's blew the everything AMD made out of the water at the time I was looking to upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS