Question Drivers/System Don't See CUDA Cores

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
A system I have been working with for a while for some reason doesn't seem to recognize some aspect of my nVidia GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, and I don't understand why. Programs that use CUDA cores claim they can't find them, and some programs, like Resolve, won't even start without it.

I download the latest drivers from the nVidia site and tried to update the drivers to see if that would help, but the drivers report that they are not finding an nVidia CUDA card.

The video card otherwise appears to be working, and delivers signal to the monitor.

Are CUDA cores separate from the main graphics drivers on nVidia cards? I don't understand why the card appears to be normal but programs and drivers don't see it. The card is presently running off drivers installed by my operating system

Any ideas? Virus? Thanks for any info on this.

System Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (SOCKET 0)
Ram: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)

SSD/HDD:
894GB SanDisk SDSSDHII960G SCSI Disk Device (SSD)
3726GB Hitachi HGST HDN724040ALE640 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
111GB OCZ-TRIO N100 SCSI Disk Device (SSD)

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
PSU: CORSAIR CX600M
Chassis: CORSAIR something or other

Last edited:

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
OK, well I installed that, and things got worse. I still have video, but programs that once worked at least off the CPU when the GPU wasn't available now just crash. DaVinci Resolve still does not see CUDA cores.

I'm not sure if I can bypass the problem with a Radeon card. Some programs favor CUDA cards however. I don't understand why something that was working perfectly normal disappears from the OS.

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Well that escalated quickly. Decided to replace the power supply thinking that may have been affecting the nVidia card, now the system comes up asking me to "Reboot and Select proper boot device".

I don't understand why it can't boot, BIOS shows all the drives in place.

Any ideas, or do I just trash the system and build a new one?

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Put the old PS back in and system came back up, so don't understand why the brand new PS would do what it did. So my system's back up, but still no CUDA cores. I guess I'm just gonna trow a RADEON card in there and cross my fingers.