Drivers will not install properly following Windows 7 reinstallation

Apr 8, 2018
Following motherboard failure due to an attempt to update BIOS for Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 5010, I was advised by Dell to reinstall Windows 7 - it was their contention that Windows 10 conflicted with my model of computer and had caused the motherboard to fail - and apparently at first installation was successful. A Dell representative talked me through the installation and guided me to install some drivers to ensure functionality. These were - the wireless card (Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half mini-card driver), the intel chipset (Intel HM57 Express Chip driver), the dell quickset application and and the realtek RTL8103T Ethernet Controller. After a few minutes performance seemed very poor and the Dell rep. would not afford any more time and left me to it. Although all these drivers have been downloaded and i have clicked on their 'setup' options it does not appear clear if they have even been installed properly. Device manager shows some entries that fit close descriptions of these drivers but I cannot be sure if they were pre-existing or are just device manager's simpler descriptions. under 'properties'. That said, I would assume that the wireless card and the ethernet controller are installed since I can connect to the internet and the ethernet cable functions if the wireless feature on my computer is turned off - although the 'hotkeys' do not function as are they are supposed to when quickset is installed properly. - maybe someone can advise me regards this. Moreover, I have since found that the drivers are supposed to be installed in a particulalr order to ensure best performance, and as mentioned, the performance is quite poor although it has improved considerably once I went and installed windows updates - cold it be that incorrect order of installation is affecting performance(opinion as I have encountered it so far seems divided on this) Further to this, I have gone to the Dell website and used one of their applications to search my computer and recommend drivers to install. It found one of them was the chipset driver the dell guy was supposed to install, another was 'audio IDT 92HD79B1', another was an 'ata -controller' (can't remember its full name - installed it and there is no close description in device manager) and the last a video driver called Intel Graphics HD Media Accelerator driver. I have tried installing the audio and ata drivers but my system identifies the video as being 'old' compard to my current one and the intel chipset will not apparently unzip and the install but no matter how many times I restart to complete the process the dell website application identifies that it needs installing.
Any advice on how to tackle all of this would be much appreciated.

Your motherboard failed, so you got a replacement motherboard? The general order of the setup for drivers would be chipset, then everything else.

System running slow is very general, it's slow in booting to Windows? Slow opening folders and files from the system? Slow online in web browsers? Slow in games?

Apr 8, 2018
Yes with regards to the motherboard i.e I had it replaced. Regards performance, booting to Windows and opening files and folders is normal, but online things are much slower than they were, and things get pedestrian when I have several tabs open and then try to configure things on my computer/open programmes.

Does the system see all the RAM installed correctly?

Sounds like network issues, maybe with the drivers.

Check device manager and compare to the drivers on Dell's support site to see if they are the latest versions.

Apr 8, 2018
Yes RAM is installed correctly (3GB). Just some further info on performance I have done some tweaking via the performance tools option in control panel - used readyboost and changed display options - and nothing happened...something fundamental seems to be the issue. Regards drivers I refer you to my first submission.