Question Drives keep getting unallocated

Nov 19, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm not the type to post stuff but I really need help on this one.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
X570 GAMING X Gigabyte Motherboard
HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ Fury
Kolink modular PSU 600W
PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB
Samsung SSD 500GB EVO 750
1TB HDD Seagate

I built my first PC two months ago, seemed that everything was working fine except for a few hiccups I tried my best to either solve or deal with (not waking up from sleep even with hibernation and all the other recommended options for this type of problem turned off and not remembering XMP profile for the RAM are two of the most annoying).

So here's the problem: A week ago I was playing AC: Valhalla and the game suddenly crashes, completely bricked. Fine, so I restart the computer. After restarting I get the error message in all black and white text saying "Reboot and select boot device". Ok, fine. I google and search around the web like mad to find a solution that doesn't end in me formatting the drive. All software was expensive and the command line tricks didn't work. So I format SSD.

Reinstalled windows, and set everything back up, all is working fine. Next day, same error.

The SSD is an old 750 EVO that's been through a lot, a MacBook Pro drive, bootcamp drive, external windows bootable and finally became the main drive for this PC so I thought OK, this SSD has been through enough, I'll consider it broken and FUBAR and move on.

So I go ahead tear the whole machine down, make good of a bad situation and revisit cable management and all that and plugin a brand-new 1tb HDD. Install windows on that, set everything up and all is working wonderfully, plucking the small battery from the motherboard and plugging it back in seemed to do the trick to allow the MB to remember the XMP profile and all is working better than before.

Next day, same message, the HDD is unallocated. That's strange, maybe I f'd up somewhere. Format, reinstall and all is good again.

Just turned it back on today and got the same message...

I built the PC because I was working on a game and my old MacBook Pro was unable to deal with Unity + Wwise (duh) so I put all the parts together on whim without much research.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

Thank you so much!

RealBeast

Titan
Can you post the exact model number of your memory? Thanks.

Did you get a chance to run any diagnostics like memtest86, Seagate Seatools for Windows, Samsung Magician, or Prime95?

And I would not necessarily give up on the Samsung 750 -- just do a secure erase on it to get it back to its original status and then run the Magician diagnostics and SMART checks on it. I have not yet been able to kill an SSD, including my very old heavily used original Intel X25-M 80GB. It has over 80TB written since it has been a video scratch drive for years.

Nov 19, 2020
Can you post the exact model number of your memory? Thanks.

Did you get a chance to run any diagnostics like memtest86, Seagate Seatools for Windows, Samsung Magician, or Prime95?

And I would not necessarily give up on the Samsung 750 -- just do a secure erase on it to get it back to its original status and then run the Magician diagnostics and SMART checks on it. I have not yet been able to kill an SSD, including my very old heavily used original Intel X25-M 80GB. It has over 80TB written since it has been a video scratch drive for years.

Hi, I know this is awkward but I’m the one that a owns the PC, OP is my roommate trying to help me sort this out.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply, the exact memory module is hx432c16b3a/16 from Kingston, I assume it was the RAM you were asking?
I didn’t get the chance to run diagnostics, now we’ve plug-in the drive to a second PC and Samsung Wizard does not allow diagnostics to run, I assume it is because it’s unallocated?

I’m trying DMDE now

It looks like your drive has been reinitialised.

If you d-click the first Vikingr volume and expand the $Root, do you see your file/folder tree?

If you do the same for $Noname04, I expect you'll see some recovery stuff. These are probably two of your original 3 partitions.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020
It looks like your drive has been reinitialised.

If you d-click the first Vikingr volume and expand the $Root, do you see your file/folder tree?

If you do the same for $Noname04, I expect you'll see some recovery stuff. These are probably two of your original 3 partitions.
Yep, I can see them all. I just did a secure erase, to see if rebooting, reinstalling windows and all that goes smoothly again. I’m still trying to do the same with the HDD but I’d like to recover some of the data in it, if it’s not possible it’s fine, I just want to understand how to stop this from happening :)

RealBeast

Titan
Hi, I know this is awkward but I’m the one that a owns the PC, OP is my roommate trying to help me sort this out.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply, the exact memory module is hx432c16b3a/16 from Kingston, I assume it was the RAM you were asking?
I didn’t get the chance to run diagnostics, now we’ve plug-in the drive to a second PC and Samsung Wizard does not allow diagnostics to run, I assume it is because it’s unallocated?

I’m trying DMDE now
Once you get running, I would run all of the diagnostics mentioned in my post. Your memory is on the QVL as hx432c16fb3a/16, the additional f indicating the Fury model type.

Nov 19, 2020
Once you get running, I would run all of the diagnostics mentioned in my post. Your memory is on the QVL as hx432c16fb3a/16, the additional f indicating the Fury model type.
Thank you so much for the time and patience to go through this with me.
I ran the samsung magician and did a secure clean of the SSD, reinstalled windows and it seems to be working fine although I cant run a diagnostic through the Samsung app since this SSD is no longer supported.
I'm now making an image to USB to run memtest86

@fzabkar Still have the HDD to figure out, this is what it looks like on DMDE
I forgot to take a screenshot before starting the full scan, it was not showing the partitions

You did not need to perform a full scan. Anyway, now that you have done it, save the results.

Then go back to the Partitions window and d-click each partition. If you see your data, then go back and "Insert the partition (Undelete)".

Nov 19, 2020
So... It just happened again... I was playing AC: Valhalla, it crashed, I was unable to use task manager to stop the application from running, I force shot down the pc by holding the power button and the same error appeared. "Reboot and select proper boot device"
I safe cleaned both drives, fresh installed everything and ran all the tests from Samsungs wizard to memtest86 and everything seemed fine.
Both partitions and volumes are gone, the cmd line for diskpart > list disk shows both disks completely free (931 of 931GB free 465 of 465GB free)

I am at a total loss. Should I go from the beginning with you guys and post a screenshot of DMDE or is this on a steady road to be a chronic problem with the MB or some other hardware fault? It doesn't seem to be the SSD or HDDs problem

A lot of people are reporting the same problem, but I haven't seen a plausible or verifiable cause. At least DMDE will fix your partitions and allow you to avoid a complete reinstall.

Do you have the latest Windows updates?

Nov 19, 2020
A lot of people are reporting the same problem, but I haven't seen a plausible or verifiable cause. At least DMDE will fix your partitions and allow you to avoid a complete reinstall.

Do you have the latest Windows updates?

Yup, I have al the windows updates, I bough iobit driver accelerator for 4$ to help me manage and install all the drivers, they seem to have a good reputation? The problem with DMDE is that I have to ask my roommate to spend his free time plugging my drives into his machine to recover the drives... He’s the OP.
I haven’t found much info on others having this problem, I wonder what’s going on. I left the computer at a store near my place and contacted the store from which I bought the motherboard to ask if I can replace it for another. I have this machine for only three months... Being a Mac user professionally for 10 years I am beyond confused.

Nov 23, 2020
Yup, I have al the windows updates, I bough iobit driver accelerator for 4$ to help me manage and install all the drivers, they seem to have a good reputation? The problem with DMDE is that I have to ask my roommate to spend his free time plugging my drives into his machine to recover the drives... He’s the OP.
I haven’t found much info on others having this problem, I wonder what’s going on. I left the computer at a store near my place and contacted the store from which I bought the motherboard to ask if I can replace it for another. I have this machine for only three months... Being a Mac user professionally for 10 years I am beyond confused.

Did you manage to solve the problem? I am having similar issue on my HDD and SSD. They keep resetting to unallocated. It happens very randomly.