Drives/RAID/Controller Configuration

cyclometric

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Hi,

Through a panicked emergency last week, when booting from an Ubuntu CD temporarily "wiped" the MBR of my RAID array, I have realized that I really should just be doing regular backups, instead of thinking RAID 5 will save me in case of disaster. (Luckily, by rebooting with the drives unplugged, and again rebooting with them plugged in, the AMD controller saw the array and I didn't lose anything).

So I am looking to change my current drive configuration, and have some questions. My board is the Gigabyte 790X-UD4P, with onboard AMD and GSATA controllers. I have a 1 TB WD Black drive, with a C partition for the system & pagefile, with the rest of the space in a logical partition for documents. I also have 3 drives (500 GB WD Blue) in RAID 5 for storage. I'd like to get off RAID 5 and instead put just 2 drives in RAID 0, either for storage, or if it makes sense, move the system to that drive.

Currently, the 1 TB system drive is connected to the Gigabyte controller in IDE mode. The 3 drives in RAID 5 are connected to the AMD controller. I had just guessed that by separating the drives on different controllers, both controllers would have less to do, and the drives would perform at their peak, rather than being bottlednecked by having to compete with the other drives. But that was just an intuitive con-guess-ture on my part, so before I tear everything apart I figured the good folks here @ Tom's in their wisdom could offer some expert advice.

If it does make sense to use both controllers, I could set up 2 of the 500GB drives in RAID 0 on the Gigabyte controller, and move my system drive and the spare 500GB to the AMD controller. Or keep the system drive the way it is, on the Gig controller, and just reconfigure the RAID array on the AMD side. OR

To recap, my questions are:

■1. Is there an advantage to using both SATA/RAID controllers on a mobo with both (the 790X-UD4P bios F7 in particular)
■2. Is there any way to move the system drive from one controller to the other, without having to wipe/restore?
■3. Any recommendations in general on my config would be great, the options I am thinking about are:
■ a. System on GSATA in IDE; 2 500's in RAID 0 on AMD
■ b. System on AMD in IDE; 2 500's in RAID 0 on GSATA
■ c. All drives connected to AMD: (i). System on existing 1 TB drive in IDE/Single disk mode; 2 500GBs in RAID 0 for storage; additional single 500GB OR (ii). System could be put onto the RAID 0 array; 1 TB drive could be used for storage (perhaps joined with the 500 in a JBOD?).

Thank you!