DRM Blues: Ubisoft PC Titles Rendered Useless Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Built a new PC last year, and our internet went down straight afterwards for a week. So I eagerly went out and bought a couple of games (in boxes, just like the old days). When I got home, I gasped in horror, as both of them needed steam to play offline. I'd just spent 1.5K and couldn't even enjoy the spoils.

Piracy might not be good, but sometimes DRM can be a pain in the ass. A smarter solution is needed that won't unintentionally screw with paying customers.

fritters

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
good thing the people who are pirating those titles are totally unaffected by this.

if drm doesn't stop piracy, then what is the point in it?

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So many times I bought a game just like RoboTree did, only to find out only part of the install is actually included in the box, I had to download the remaining 30% of the game. Piracy is what's keeping my PC gaming alive.

I've bought dozens of games off Steam, Direct2Drive(formerly), amazon, etc, but I don't use their services. After I bought them, I found a way to download them else where. I want to have the entire game at my disposal without the need for online downloading, verification, etc. I don't always have the internet, and a couple times a year I do a fresh Windows install. Without certain torr sites, I would have stopped buying games long ago.

I know people will disagree with my approach, and they have their right to their opinion just like I have a right to mine.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
if they know that DRM's dont stop piracy then why waste time, money and paying customer's patience in this fail of an anti piracy method?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Companies like Ubisoft and EA have yet to understand that making customers happy and earning money are not exclusive alternatives.

Happy customers=more money

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Imagine the day when publishers start to disable older games (or some features like multiplayer) to make room for new ones.

G

Actually, the first thing I am going to do after buying a new copy of Diablo 3 is to search for a no-DRM patch so that I can play while offline.

G

"..., thus pushing them to play the same titles on consoles." or using pirated software

really can't understand these baboons at the publishers...

G

Actually, the first thing I am going to do after buying a new copy of Diablo 3 is to search for a no-DRM patch so that I can play while offline.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
What some people fail to consider is what happens when the company finds it to no longer be profitable to keep the DRM servers running, or if they go out of business, taking their DRM servers with them. All of the people who purchased the game end up with a non working game while the pirated copies continue to work with no problem.

DRM only hurts the paying customer and restricts the paying market.

Many cracked games will run faster than the paid game. generally a game that is a little laggy will run smooth when cracked/ pirated. that is because many current DRM's will run continuous checking of the memory and other integrity checks to make sure you are not bypassing any of the DRM. Though for the check to be done, the DRM tool has to be included with the game. DRM free copies have none of this and thus more stability and faster performance when the CPU is the bottleneck on performance.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]PG[/nom]Actually, the first thing I am going to do after buying a new copy of Diablo 3 is to search for a no-DRM patch so that I can play while offline.[/citation]

it will happen at some point, i mean there are private wow servers, but you will have to wait quite a few months before it will be possible.

im waiting on that too, but thats more me not wanting my gameplay effected by the auction house, or the fact that instead of just a few farmers, the whole player base will practice farming at some point, and they have said they will limit item drop rates based on the auction house.

zhihong0321

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
i brought Anno 2070 last december.

I meet total Not less than 15 times server down since Dec 15. ( average ~24hours each downtime )
Check the anno2070 facebook page. See how many time the "Apologize for server downtime "
Uplay down lah, Server down lah, Harddisk problem.....

The offline play you mention? Sorry, no such thing. The is a button - offline access - but never worked for Anno 2070, they even now close the Anno 2070 forum to stop people complain....

DRM is ok. Company like UBISOFT is Pirate, took our money, and dont give us the access to "SINGLE PLAYER GAME" we purchased.

I think someone in UBISOFT is trying to kill themself.
I would never spent a single cent on this bs company.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Making restrictions on single player will make people want to pirate it.

If I owned any of these games and would suffer this outage, when the alternative is to download a cracked copy and suffer no such thing, it raises the question, should I have just gone the pirate route in the first place?

G

I stopped buying any game that required internet connection a long time ago. I've been deliberately
ignoring UBISOFT for just this reason.
Its about time others boycotted companies doing this DRM this stupidity.
Once upn a time internet users had a backbone.

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I don't believe there was ever any fine print buying these games that said they will not be able to be played after a certain point. I see this as a corporation unlawfully prepossessing property. There were no purchase agreements. I don't own any of these games but if i did i would be really angry.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I don't buy Ubisoft stuff. sorry. I hate to admit it, but there it is. Alright, time to go play Assassin's Creed...WHENEVER I WANT! (you know who I will throw my money at? Valve/Steam...SO RELEASE EP 3/HL3 ALREADY!!!! MY MONEY WANTS TO GO TO YOU!!!!)

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I am done with Ubi after Heroes VI, they said the full campaign is playable offline, so I went for it. It is a crippled version, you can't use any dynasty weapons or any of your dynasty points at all. I am tempted to pirate their games just out of spite, I know I will not purchase any of them unless this ends.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Not much to say about the article so ill just continue the rant.

This practice of trying to stop piracy by screwing over legit customers is very sad. the drm has stopped me, a legit customer, from buying many of their games because my homes internet connection is very faulty. And people continue to prate their new games. One google search is all it takes to find a collossal amount of pirated ubisoft games, who wont be affected by any blackouts of faulty internet connections. Right now, it sure does suck to have a conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.