DRM Blues: Ubisoft PC Titles Rendered Useless Next Week

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kreed_uk

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]chudei[/nom]i spend more money on my fremium games than on complete retail ones.[/citation]

[citation][nom]heartburnkid[/nom]The mere fact that the argument in that comic can be made is proof that DRM doesn't work.[/citation]

Perhaps you don't know what DRM is actually trying to do, as everybody including the companies using them knows that it will be cracked eventually. The comic however does demonstrate that some pirates are just plain stupid.

kreed_uk

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Jprobes[/nom]So let me get this straight, the restrictions that a company puts on their products forced you to break the law and become a criminal.Interesting defense."Your Honor, I never had any intentions to murder anyone with a gun until i went to purchase one and faced all of these bullshit restrictions"Ubisoft didn't make you do anything, (except play their games online). You chose to steal and using their policies as justification is quite possibly the most ludicrous alibi one could ever present.Quit lying to yourself. Your moral character is dwindling faster then SGK's.[/citation]

Exactly. That's the dumb argument that this comic is demonstrating...

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/02/19

This is such BS! I have been a longtime fan of the Heroes series and I ordered it with great anticipation. I played Heroes VI beta and it seemed fine. Ever since they released it, it has been full of bugs, often down and a miserable experience all around. For a month I had 3 campaigns I couldn't finish because of bugs. Couldn't progress past the one map. Ubisoft refused to fix the immediate concerns and spent a month on "AI" fixes, while the customers were unable to play ht ebug infested campaigns.

I had high hopes since Ubisoft has had some success with RPGs in the past, but this has been by far the worst gaming experience ever. Now I can't play my game for how long???

This is f-ing pathetic, and we as consumers should not accept this. We shouldn't let game devs use us as beta testers for their buggy releases. And we should let them know we won't buy their crappy products. Also from this experience, I am not buying software online anymore. If it doesn't come with a disc, then screw them.

And SCREW YOU UBISOFT!!!

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
what does pirating games have to do with ubisoft trying to save a few bucks on server hosting???
pirates will soon find a way to crack the game so it doesn't need online validation.
"and save the day"

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
If newer titles are coming withOUT the "always online" DRM, why can't they patch the older games to work this way too? It makes even more sense when you take into account the fact that since hte games are older, they can sell them for lower prices and avoid piracy the right way (with fair prices and unobtrusive DRM)

What baffles me is how thes companies spend $$$$$$$$$ with DRM, for something that don't even work. They could be using this money to better develop their games instead.

G

I am never going to buy a console sorry drm micro soft or Sony is not pushing me to buy over price junk hardware like consoles.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If Uplay goes dark, you'll be unable to play stuff like RUSE too I assume?
I really don't understand why Ubisoft and Blizzard are doing this! I mean take a look at Skyrim. It's consistently in the top 3 sales on steam since launch, and yet it's the perfect game to pirate. It's singleplayer only, and a pirate only loses out on the achievement bragging. But despite being a perfect target for piracy, it's selling incredibly well.
Same story with Minecraft. Quality game. Copy protection essentially optional. Yet over 3 million have bought it.
Why not just make quality games instead of quality drm to protect games that cost less to develop than the drm, and definetly are easier to maintain?

I've got just under 800 items on steam. I wonder how many will stop working? I know that tdu2 and ruse are ubisoft, but how many other games I have are? I wonder if I'll have to go back to pirating games to make them work .... if so, there's little point in actually buying them.

no, they wouldn't, they will blame loss of sales on pirating, because CFO retards only think in black and white, either they get the money for the game or it got pirated, they don't believe in anything in-between.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I've boycotted buying Ubisoft games, up until they either 1. pay for my internet, or 2. get rid of the DRM.
It's a shame because I was really looking forward to Beyond Good and Evil 2.

G

Like the movie industry that actively prevented you obtaining double sided blank DVD's to name just one act - the game industry is an international criminal cartel.
Unfortunately they have whole governments in their pockets.
And no one has the power to interfere or prosecute.
Welcome to the medieval society masquerading as "democracy"

Like the movie industry that actively prevented you obtaining double sided blank DVD's to name just one act - the game industry is an international criminal cartel.
Unfortunately they have whole governments in their pockets.
And no one has the power to interfere or prosecute.
Welcome to the medieval society masquerading as "democracy"
couldn't have said it better myself. We are reaping the benefits of capitalist economy

It's never been easier than it is now for any determined individual to create a marketable game and make some money off of it. I have a funny feeling that that is a much scarier scenario to the Big Time Publishers than pirating.

Anti-Piracy is kinda like enforcing a strict dress code at a call center. The customers on the other end of the phone will never know by your voice if you are naked, wearing your Star Wars / D&D / Civil War role-playing costume, or a 3-piece suit. A dress code is expected. Anti-Piracy is expected. It is harder to get investors and other companies interested in using you as a 3rd party supplier of support for their customers if everyone isn't dressed nicely... you can draw similar lines to anti-piracy methods and policies.

:D I absolutely loved this article. I currently do not play ANY ubisoft titles and haven't for several months.

justchuck69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
why don't people scan the box cover and the receipt and then send it into ubisoft and demand a full refund since their product can not do what was promised !

maybe then ubisoft might not push DRM control so hard if enough people will not put up with it !

just my 2 cents on this topic

shatbriks

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I can't understand why UBI has to put that piece of shit DRM on their every game, if they absolutely MUST have DRM on their games, why not just use Steam since pretty much all their games are on sale there anyway? Personally i got enough of this shit when i bough From Dust from Steam and found out i have to be online in TWO services just to play a game OFFLINE.

I'm getting pissed off at steam too, but at least it has some resemblance of offline mode, although could use lot of improving.

justchuck69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
yeah the DRM only seems to punish the innocent users and does not really effect the pirates ( it might slow them down a bit but not too much ) !

but as long as people keep buying DRM protected games and movies the companies will keep DRM protection on them !

justchuck69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
@yaoyaode email them and ask for a full refund since their product does not do what you bought it for !

but the last line in the article is really what you should be asking yourself
" While DRM is understandable, has it gotten better over the years, or is it getting out of hand? "

Status
Not open for further replies.