[SOLVED] Drobo 5N undiscoverable

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hey everyone!

So I have a Drobo 5N network storage. I first hooked it up via ethernet directly to my old PC and it worked great.
Built my new PC and installed Drobo dashboard which was a newer version (3.3) compared to when I previously hooked it up. Now the dashboard cannot find it. This is with the Drobo directly connected via ethernet to the pc.
What's weird is that it did show up randomly on one PC load up. I was able to install new firmware then. I then went to reboot the Drobo after the Firmware install and it hasn't been detectable by the dashboard since.
What could be my issues? Can I get some trouble shooting advice?

I tried going to Drobo but apparently you have to pay them $70 for them to even look at the issue (seriously??).

Thanks!

Solution
Well good news I figured it out. Just wanted to update this thread for those that have issues as well.

I briefly got the Drobo to show up on the dashboard directly connected to a PC. I then was able to change some settings while I had access to it. Under network settings it was set to "manually assign IP" and I switched it to auto DHCP. I then hooked it up to my router and boom. Every PC on the network can now see it and has the drive mounted on each computer.

This thing is awesome once you get it working!

I wouldn't bother with Drobo support, they were ZERO help. I just hope this thing remains functioning because there is zero support if you run into problems.

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Cmon you guys help me out! Drobo support will not respond to me. :( I really would love to get this unit up and running and have 30TB of network storage. HELP! lol
What I've tried:
-Rebooted the unit
-Rebooted the PC
-Tried several different cables
-Reinstalled Drobo Dashboard
-Ensured DDassist is allowed through Win 10 Firwall and added an exclusion to Malwarebytes

Not sure what else to try.

I have a stupid Xfinity WiFi cable modem in bridge mode to my router...but that should have no affect since I'm directly connected to my PC via Ethernet.

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Update. I took the Drobo and directly connected it to another PC. It instantly showed up.

So is something up with my Aorus motherboard? When I connect internet to the motherboard it's fine. But doesn't seem to see my Drobo for some reason. Am I missing a driver? It also doesn't show up when I plug it into my router which ultimately is what I want to do. DHCP is on as well.

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Well good news I figured it out. Just wanted to update this thread for those that have issues as well.

I briefly got the Drobo to show up on the dashboard directly connected to a PC. I then was able to change some settings while I had access to it. Under network settings it was set to "manually assign IP" and I switched it to auto DHCP. I then hooked it up to my router and boom. Every PC on the network can now see it and has the drive mounted on each computer.

This thing is awesome once you get it working!

I wouldn't bother with Drobo support, they were ZERO help. I just hope this thing remains functioning because there is zero support if you run into problems.

Solution
Aug 26, 2019
I have the same problem...but different. I have two Windows 10 machines, an older self-assembled PC and a new Windows Surface Book 2. The old PC (fresh install) sees my old Drobo FS, but the Surface Book doesn't. But: BOTH PC and laptop have Drobo Dashboard running, and both Dashboards can connect to the Drobo. I have auto DHCP configured (never different). Nothing I do will allow the laptop to connect. Maddening.