Drone crash replacement

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I crashed my drone into a river. I sent it, and the battery, back to the manufacturer to see if it could be repaired, and was told it couldn't - due to being water damage, it was a total loss, and I'd have to pay for a new device, but they'd offer me 15% discount. I paid around €350 for a new device. It's their smallest model, and that seems to tie in with the price of a new basic aircraft package (aircraft, battery, etc)

On receiving the new drone, I found that it had the same serial number as my old one. To me, that looks like they repaired my original drone and returned it. They also didn't send me a battery. They say they never received one.

There is no way that I would be pay €350 for a repaired aircraft - particularly when I was told I'd get a new one - when I can get a new one for the same sort of money. Though it seems these ones are hard to get hold of new as it looks like they've been discontinued, and they're about to be replaced with a new model.

So I went back to their support desk. This is where it gets a bit weird.

They claim that "You did receive a new craft, as is necessary when a unit is water damaged. However, your serial number has been reprinted and re-used. It's very much a new craft, with your serial number."

That makes absolutely no sense to me - why would a company take a serial number off a new device, and replace it with one from a failed device? I mean they'd have to physically remove a serial number that would have been put on by the factory.... They wouldn't, would they??? How would you ever identify your products if you did that? They're trying to fob me off claiming they've sent me a new device when they sent my old one back repaired, aren't they???

Also couldn't test the thing, as they haven't sent a battery and said they never received one!

Tell me I'm not missing something here, please, because this just sounds crazy!

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model drone? Company?

Maybe someone else has had a similar experience with that company....

Same serial number: was the drone registered in some manner?

Registration form:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC8050-1.pdf

Third box down on the left requires the serial number. I.e. "Your serial number" perhaps....

If the serial number was not reused you may have to register again.

As for the battery - did you document in any manner that the battery was sent. Batteries are expensive and it is not uncommon for some less ethical folks to not send a battery and claim that they did so. Just trying to get a free battery.

Check the shipping/RMA instructions. Any guidelines regarding batteries?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
DJI Spark

In the UK, so not registered on FAA and not needed to register in the UK.

Didn't document battery - they did say send it back and given i'd drowned it, there was no point me trying to keep it

The registration part might be true. In the UK at least new law is coming in at the end of this month that all models over 250g must be registered and carry a registration number. You actually have to pay a subscription to register. I believe other countries are introducing similar registrations. It might be they have introduced a way of issuing a new model that complies with the original registration.

As for the battery did the €350 with 15% discount look correct for including a battery? Sending a damaged lithium battery via post is risky and probably voids any insurance with the postal company. If the price should have included a battery then take that up with them, if the price didn’t then you need a new battery. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous if damaged, a water damaged battery should be disposed of.

DJI Spark

In the UK, so not registered on FAA and not needed to register in the UK.

Didn't document battery - they did say send it back and given i'd drowned it, there was no point me trying to keep it
Registration is being introduced in the UK. Are you a member of the BMFA, if you are you should have received information on this. I received emails thus week and last about this.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Yep, will be happy to register when it all comes in - once I get a flyable aircraft! :D

I've seen prices for new basic Spark packages (including battery, props, etc) between £299-399 - so I'd say €350 including a 15% discount puts me in that price range. In fact I've just had an Email to say the new Mavic Mini has been released at £369, and I'm guessing that's why the Spark has been discontinued - it's also a very similar price match to the Spark. Also possibly explains why they're trying to fob me off with a repair and claiming it's a replacement.

I wouldn't have paid €350 for a repaired aircraft with no battery when I know I can get a new one for that.

But what about this "reused serial number" - do companies do that? I mean surely they wouldn't be able to support any products as they'd never know whether the serial was for the old device or the replacement. There would be no benefit at all to them or me to do that, surely? They'd give me a new device with a new serial...

Why do I think they're out of replacement Sparks at the factory, and are trying to fob me off?

I can’t say about the serial number but per my prior comment it might be genuine as a way of giving customers a replacement they don’t need to reregister. There seems to no consistency in regulation being introduced from one country to the next.

They might be trying to fob you off. If me I would politely ask them stating there is no evidence it is new and see what they say.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I can’t say about the serial number but per my prior comment it might be genuine as a way of giving customers a replacement they don’t need to reregister. There seems to no consistency in regulation being introduced from one country to the next.

They might be trying to fob you off. If me I would politely ask them stating there is no evidence it is new and see what they say.
Thanks Sizzling - that might be the best way to approach it. I don't want to straight out accuse them of dishonesty and was struggling to figure out a way of wording it! :)

Thanks Sizzling - that might be the best way to approach it. I don't want to straight out accuse them of dishonesty and was struggling to figure out a way of wording it! :)

You can't tell the difference between the one they sent new and how your original drone looked like? I would think a used drone that went into a river would have scratches, dings, etc... The new drone should also smell like newer plastic and glues.